Chapter Nine

Holland's Pov:

                "Our plane leaves in fifteen hours! Are you packed and ready, Holly?" I heard Joshua ask, refolding his new clothes for probably the third time this evening. I smiled as I grabbed the folded laundry from him and placing it in his suitcase, zipping it up and placing it on the floor next to his makeshift bed on my couch. "Hey! I wasn't done!"

                "You've been refolding those clothes for hours, Joshua." I crossed my arms knowingly, "I think you've folded them enough." I argued, distracted by Astro jumping up on the couch and laying down by Joshua.

Joshua wrapped his arms around Astro's body as he cuddled up against him. "I told you already; my suitcase is already by the front door ready to go," My features softening, unable to not love the feeling of seeing him outside the hospital. I stood up and grabbed the two mugs filled with hot chocolate out of the microwave, walking back and handing him one. He smiled, patting Astro on the back while chugging his drink. "Everything is going to be okay."

                "I'm just excited about going to California, it was on my bucket list." I froze, my smile fading that a nine-year-old had such a thing planned out. "Plus, I love your dog. Whose a cutie pup?" His voice an octave higher, earning a lick from Astro. I took his cup, placing it on the coffee table.

                "Well, he is pretty great, huh?" I asked, taking a seat next to them. Joshua smiled again as he dug his face into Astros' coat.

                "Holland?" I responded with a 'hm?', "Are planes scary?" He asked as he closed his eyes. I stood up again, placing the mugs in the sink and grabbing a blanket out of the hall closet to place over him.

                "I personally love them. Are you scared?" I asked as I watched him cling to the dog. Astro looked up at me, confused as to why the tv was being turned off.

                "Kinda," He whispered in a sleepy voice. "But, if you like them then..." He yawned. "I guess I'll like them too." I looked at the clock and noted that it was eight p.m, his normal time to nap. He didn't say another word after that.  I sighed as I heard my phone going off, but smiled as I realized who was calling.

                "Hey Mom, what's up?" I asked, taking the call into my bedroom, laying down on my bed.

                "Hey sweetie. I'm just calling to ask how Joshua is." She started. I looked at the ceiling as I waited for the rest of it. "Also, I was wondering-"

                "She's not coming. She hasn't talked to me since that night anyway." I sighed, running my hand down my tired face, "I'm not expecting her to anyway." I said as I untied my shoes, kicking them off.

                "Well, maybe if you just..." I groaned at that. "I'm just suggesting it, Holland. No need to get an attitude." She said as I rolled my eyes.

                "I know, but it's like I said-." All of a sudden there was a knock on my bedroom door. I looked over to see, of course, Courtney  standing in my doorway, waving my apartment key in her hand. "Mom, I'll call you back."

                "Wh-." I closed my phone and sat up, glaring at the taller girl before me.

                "Telling your mom shit about me huh?" She furrowed her brows, crossing her arms. I rolled my eyes as I stood up.

                "Can I have my keys back now?" I asked, holding my hand out as if expecting it from her. She rolled her eyes while she tossed them to me. I didn't even thank her as I pushed past her, heading towards the kitchen.