Chapter Five

Audrey's POV:

I sat at the table next to Holland as my mom finished getting her evening cup of coffee. I was nervous and fidgeting, but Land smiled next to me as she slid her hand into mine. I looked at my mom then back to Holland, now five times nervous.

"Oh stop, Audrey." My mom said as she pulled the chair out to take a seat on. I sighed as I gave her a stern look. "We're all adults here."

"I know, sorry I guess it's hard to fight habits." I cracked a smile to Land who just rolled her eyes. I smiled again then looked back to my mom to see her smiling.

"Now, let's talk about this. You two dated three years?" She asked as she took a sip.

"Three years and two months." Holland said happily.

"And you never knew that I knew the entire time?" I almost fell out of my seat. I let go of Holland's hand as I rubbed my face in annoyance. "I'll take that as a no."

"How could have known though? We hid it so perfectly?" I even asked that last question myself as I thought about how we tried to make sure no one found out about the two of us.

"Honey, do you think I'm blind? I know how best friends are. I was a teenager too once upon a time." She said as she drifted off, thinking of all high school romances. I smiled as I snapped my fingers in front of her. She shook her head before blushing and sipping more coffee. "Anyway, I know what young love looks like. I had it too, not with my best girl friend but with my best boy friend. What I don't understand, is why you two chose to hide it from me." She asked as she looked at the both of us with a sad face. I chewed the inside of my cheek as I noticed that the table was far more interesting.

"Well, we thought you wouldn't approve of it; that you'd ban me from seeing Audrey." Holland spoke out. I looked at her to see her serious face displaying.

"Even if I didn't approve, do you think I could honestly keep the two of you from each other? You two are like a metal sheet and a magnet. As much as you pull them apart, they're still going to want to be together. I'll admit, when I found you two in bed, naked, one night when I got home, I was... somewhat surprised. The next day I saw you two in your natural click and smiled." I sat there, somewhat pissed off at the fact that I wasted all those years worrying over nothing. I looked at Land to see the same expression I wore.

"Well, this sucks." She said as she laughed, resting her head on the table.

"I'm sorry you two thought you couldn't be yourselves around me; I never knew I gave off that impression." My mom frowned as she took another sip. Then it dawned on me.

"Mom, if you knew about us, why didn't confront us?" I asked finally. Holland's head popped up at that question. My mom made a slight face, and then shrugged her shoulders.

"Honey,  you're my daughter. It was obvious you weren't comfortable talking to me about it yet." I sighed at that answer.

"But, you must have known we broke up?" I asked as I leaned back in my chair. My mom looked to the ceiling in thought before answering me.

"Actually, that was one thing I didn't know. I mean, I knew you were upset, but I thought it was because she was going away to college. I seriously thought you two were doing that whole long distance relationship sort of thing." She said as she looked at the two of us. Holland averted her eyes as she started to zip up her jacket.

"I hate my life..." I said as I sighed back in my chair, arms crossed. Mom frowned though as she placed her cup down.

"I'm sorry... I probably should have talked to you about it, but I figured you'd just brush it off." She said. I looked back up at her and smiled.