30. Choices

We're 30 chapters in, guys. Only a few more left.

Are you ready for the end?

_______________

30. Choices

_______________

I just sat there, head resting on his chest, squeezing his hand, and sobbed uncontrollably. That's all I could do in that moment.

It felt as if I were to just stay here and hold on, he'd miraculously be okay. If I just held onto his hand and begged God, he'd be back. He'd be okay.

He'd be alive.

I felt sick. Sick to my stomach.

The church was quiet in the dead of night, save for my cries of despair. The world was gone, completely drowned out. It was just he and I.

All I could think about was how I'd treated him. Things I'd said. How I was too stubborn in my loyalty to Kevin to really try and understand both sides of what had happened that night, over two years ago.

And in thinking about this, the dread that I was feeling only multiplied. Could I have done something? If we hadn't split up, this wouldn't have happened. We should've stuck together. I should've been able to defend myself better... Defend him better.

I was beginning to find it hard to breathe and soon I felt a hand on my back.

"Ricky," Sayora started. "It'll be okay. We'll be okay. I promise."

"He's gone," I sobbed. "He's gone."

"I know," Sayora said.

"We should've stuck together."

"Stop talking like that, it's not gonna help."

"This is too much!" I blurted. "I—I just want this shit to be over! I keep losing people and it feels like my fault."

"No one blames you, Ricky."

"I blame me!"

Sayora remained silent, deciding to comfort me without speaking, rubbing her palm in circles on my back.

The doors to the church bursted open and all of us shot our attention in that direction. I frowned when I saw who'd came jogging down the aisle toward us.

Sayora was obviously surprised as well. "Luke?!"

She and Travis stood to their feet.

"Guys, what happened?!" Luke asked as he neared us, taking notice of Jory's body on the floor.

"We were attacked," Sayora said. "Jory... He..."

Luke's eyes widened and his gaze lingered on Jory's body. "Oh, God."

"Why are you here?" Sayora inquired of him.

"I got a text from Danielle saying to meet here at nine-thirty," Luke explained. "I decided to come a little early."

Luke's eyes finally locked with mine. I couldn't quite read his expression, but the whole thing was coming off a little suspicious to me. I was uncertain why.

"Did you call for help?" Luke asked, averting his eyes back to Sayora.

"Police are on the way," Travis said.

"Good."

Luke attempted to walk over to Jory's body, but Travis stepped in front of him, preventing him from doing so.