8. Perfect Date

8. Perfect Date

_______________

The rest of the late lunch went by pretty awkwardly. Dad didn't seem to notice, but I could feel the tension. Raymond and I would occasionally exchange words just so Dad didn't think anything fishy was going on, but we didn't hold prolonged conversation. I wasn't in the mood to.

It was frustrating. Raymond knew something and he wouldn't tell me. Kevin knew something and he wouldn't tell me. No one was telling me anything and I was the one in the center of everything.

I had to keep myself from getting up and walking out because I had no desire to be in Raymond's presence.

When it was over we paid and got up.

"I'm gonna head to the bathroom," said Dad as he walked in the direction of the restrooms. I watched him as he went away. When he was out of sight I made my way to the door.

"Wait," Raymond said.

I begrudgingly turned to look at him. The last thing I wanted was to talk to him right now. "What?"

"Look, I know you're upset but-"

"Like I said," I interjected. "If you're not gonna tell me anything, I really don't want to hear it."

"I know you're confused and want answers, but everything will come to light eventually," he tried to assure me.

"When's eventually?" I asked. "I mean, now would be a much better time. Now would be the time to tell me who you were on the phone with. Now would be the time to tell me whose apartment you went to. Now would be the time to tell me what you and Mom were arguing about."

He looked flabbergasted for a second. "You heard your mom and I talking?"

"Yes," I said. "Something weird is going on here. I just want the truth."

He sighed, lowering his head, but didn't say anything. When several moments passed and he said nothing, I turned and headed for the exit.

"Tell dad I walked home," I said to him. "I want some fresh air."

___

The time for the date was near and I was honestly more nervous than I'd initially thought I'd be.

Granted, I really didn't think I'd be nervous at all 'cause it was Sayora. We had history. We were just starting over. No big deal.

But as I buttoned up my shirt looking in the mirror and thought about it more, the damned butterflies started stirring around in my stomach a bit.

My cell phone rang on my bed. I went over to answer it and I saw that it was a call from Jory.

"What?" I said, putting the phone to my ear.

"How's the playboy doing at this moment?" He asked.

"I'm fine."

"No jitters?"

"Nope," I lied.

"He's lying," I heard a familiar voice say.

"Is that Luke?" I asked.

"Yeah, he and Danielle are at my place chillin'. You're on speaker."