24. Gone Girl

24. Gone Girl

_______________

January 27th, 2014

Dear Kevin,

You must understand how hard this is for me. To reveal myself to you right now may not really be the best thing to do. I take it back. We shouldn't meet. It's already scary enough sending you these letters. What if your parents end up intercepting them one day?

— X

___

February 1st, 2014

Dear X,

We've been in communication with each other for quite some time now. I think it's best we finally meet. I mean, that's been your goal thus far, right? Don't worry, my parents respect my privacy. That's not an issue. What do you say?

— Kevin

___

February 3rd, 2014

Dear Kevin,

I don't know. I'm getting serious cold feet. It's just that this is actually happening for real and I don't want to mess it up. But you're right. You need to see me for yourself. Then you'll know for sure that I'm not lying. Not that you don't have enough proof yet after that photo I sent you.

— X

___

February 7th, 2014

Dear X,

I can't believe they'd keep something like this from me. I can't believe I have another brother. We can meet at this one place I know of here in Hillbury. It's in the woods. An abandoned shack. This day, next week? Around 9:30pm?

— Kevin

___

February 9th, 2014

Dear Kevin,

See you there... Brother.

— X

___

Letter after letter after letter.

Kevin typed his letters by computer, so obviously he'd made copies to make it possible for me to read what he'd sent out. The other letters were all hand written by the receiver.

They dated all the way back to two years ago, early January. It was like discovering a completely different life Kevin was living. He'd actually been in contact with this kid who went by "X" in the letters... This boy.

Our brother.

I carefully read each one. In the beginning, "X" contacted Kevin explaining that there was something important that Kevin needed to know, which was the fact that he and Kevin were related. Brothers, in fact.