19. Whispers in the Night

_______________

The past few days had been tranquil.

No, tranquil wasn't exactly accurate. There was tension in the air, which in turn made it awkward trying to interact with my family. So I hadn't spoken much to them. It was quiet.

Too quiet.

There hadn't been any murders attempted on my friends, family or myself since that night at Travis' house. No attacker. No speaking with my parents. Talking with my friends had reached a low as well. We spoke in school, sure. But we hadn't been communicating outside of school much. Or at least, they weren't communicating with me.

And to top it off, no new messages from Kevin since he agreed to meet at the shack of course.

The shack.

It was a perfect meeting spot. That was where Kevin and I would hang out when we got tired of people. Or school. Or our parents. Just life in general, really.

Tonight was the night. Saturday.

Eddie's home was closer to the woods where the shack was located. I still didn't want to go to Eddie's party, but it would be a good cover. My friends were suspicious of me and I was suspicious of them. Going out together would be a great way to ease some tension.

Then thirty minutes to eleven, I'll just say I'm tired and want to go home, but really I'll be heading to the shack nearby.

The downside obviously was having to spend some time with that douche. His party started at nine o' clock so I'd be there for at least a good hour and a half before I left.

I think the one of the most aggravating things though was the fact that Kevin had wasted no time in getting back to me when I threatened him.

The guy spent so long ignoring me. I hadn't heard back from him since our first meeting. He could've been dead for all I knew and he ignored me. I was worried sick about him and he couldn't have just said "Hey, I'm alive"? I at least deserved that much.

But no, I had to take drastic measures for him to respond to me. That pissed me off. It shouldn't be like this. If he wanted to come home so badly, why wasn't he trying his hardest to do so?

How fucking infuriating.

I was sulking on the matter when my phone rang. It was Luke.

"Yo," I answered.

"What's up, man?" He asked.

"Nothing," I replied simply. "Bored."

"Well, you're in luck because we're pregaming."

I pulled the phone away from my ear to look at the time. Then I put it back to my ear.

"It's one in the afternoon."

"Well, not now obviously!" Luke retorted. "Later. But before we go to Eddie's."

"You don't really pregame," I said.

"Yeah, it was Danielle's idea."

I rolled my eyes in amusement. "Of course it was."

Classic Danielle. She lived for a good time and it usually included drinking.

"Alright," I agreed. "When's this happening?"

"Swing by at around seven."

"It's a deal."

___

Seven o' clock was nearing which meant I was going out with my friends.