Chapter 5

T-1 day til the wedding. 

Awful fuschia bridesmaid dresses? check

A date? As if. 

Insufferable sadness? Only a little

I got out of bed as per Sam's request, I couldn't ignore his scratching at the door for much longer. I grabbed his leash and gave myself a quick once over in the mirror. Last night's cute messy bun was no longer cute, my tweety bird pajamas sagged loosely on my hips and an old XXL tee was softly hanging on my otherwise naked upper half, if I couldn't lose 20 pounds by tomorrow at least I could give the illusion that I dropped a lot of weight by wearing pajamas 5 times too big. One thing I didn't envy about my sister was the appearances she kept up, I didn't want to imagine life sleeping in an itchy nightgown every night.

I yawned as I stepped into the elevator and Sam ran circles around my feet, tangling his leash up in the process. "Okay, buddy," I laughed, "I just have to just grab something from the car and you can have your potty break."

I rounded the corner to where I'd parked my car and Sam began to bark loudly. Right behind my little old Subaru was a shiny black car, and when I say right behind I mean literally, right up to the back of my car and slightly into it too. 

"What the hell?!" I shouted, throwing my hands up in the air as I rushed over to my car. Sam's leash slipped out of my hand as he ran over to the man leaning up against his car talking on the phone. "Hold on Ivan, I'm gonna have to call you back" I heard him say before he turned around, he began to spin to face me before looking down at Sam as he let out a chuckle and bent down to pet the barking ball of hair. So much for an attack dog, I thought. The man stood back up and turned to face me, with the end of Sam's leash in one hand and a phone in the other he put his hands up as if surrendering. "I'm so sorry I was super jet lagged and I don't know how this rental car works yet but I called the company and I have really good insurance so you don't h-" he stopped, looking at me quizzically. "Are you okay?" He asked, probably in response to my mouth hanging agape as I stared at none other than Brendon Urie blabbering on about rental cars and insurance while holding my dog's leash. 

"I'm fine." I lied, gathering my composure, just upset about my car. Why don't you give me Ivans number and I'll call him myself and work things out. I really don't have time for this." I told him, grabbing Sam's leash and handing him my cell phone. I turned abruptly on my heels, giving Sam a tug as he turned to face Brendon again. I pressed the button to the elevator hard and felt my heart nearly beating out of my chest. This has got to be the most realistic dream I've ever had, I thought, promising myself to swear off ever eating sweets before bed again. 

"What's taking this damn elevator so long?!?" I nearly shouted, pushing the button repeatedly. 

"You know I once heard someone say pressing that many times actually makes it slower." I heard a voice behind me laugh. I turned to face what was yet again Brendon. Weird, usually in my dreams the hot guy would have turned into a chew toy for Abby, who usually wound up being a giant dog. Yes, I have told my therapist about my nightmares, mind your business.

"You forgot this." He said, sliding my cell phone into my palm. His fingers brushed against mine and I felt chills run up my spine. "Hi, I'm Brendon."