Chapter 1

"Pink or purple?" My sister Abigail asked me, one different stiletto on both feet. "They both look great," I told her not bothering to look. This had to be at least the 60th pair of shoes she'd tried on and we'd been at the mall since 9 this morning. It was almost 5. "CASSIDY! your not helping!" Abby whined. I sighed. Whether I liked it or not I had to help my baby sister. She was getting married in a few weeks and since our mom had passed away last year I was filling the spot of "mom of the bride."

"These are perfect!" Abby gasped and I looked over at her feet. She was wearing a pair of nude diamond studded pumps. She took the shoes off her dainty size 6 foot and put them back into the box. "Be a doll and hold these for me sweets" she drawled in her cute southern accent. (She'd moved back from South Carolina ((where she'd lived for 6 years)) after mom died.) I grabbed the shoe box from her and took a quick glance at the price tag. Yikes, $600. That was more than all my shoes combined. Heck, it was probably more than ALL my clothes combined. I showed the tag to Abby. "Are you sure you want these shoes?" I asked hesitantly. She glanced at the price tag "oh!" She squealed "I had no idea these were such a great deal!" She added. A deal? I shook my head. Not only was she getting married at 22 (3 years before me!) but she was also marrying Wes Daniels. He was 10 years older than her and he was a doctor. The worst part of my sister marrying Wes is that he used to be my boyfriend. We had been dating for 9 months and when Abby came back for mom's funeral her and Wes fell in love. They had only dated 2 months before he proposed and they planned the wedding for 2 months later. They had known each other for less than the time we dated and he had already done more for her than he'd ever done for me. Fancy dinners, presents, even a surprise birthday party (he'd forgotten my birthday.) But it was not my place to be jealous. My sister had found her "one" and I was happy for her.

Speak of the devil, Wes walked in at that very moment. He came behind Abby who was admiring necklaces and put his hands over her eyes. "Guess who?" He asked. "Wes!" She giggled turning around and wrapping her arms around him. Her 5'3 hardly comparing to Wes's 6'0. "Hey sweetie," he said, kissing the top of her natural blonde head (another thing to be jealous about. I had to dye my hair to get it that color.) Wes pointed at the cashier and then to the necklaces Abby had been admiring. "Wait!" Abby said. "You can't see the shoes I'm getting!" Wes looked at me confused and I shrugged. "Okay honey" he laughed and grabbed the necklace from the cashier and handed back his credit card. Wes put the necklace around Abby's neck "oh Wes its beautiful!" She chirped putting her hand on her chest. I put the shoes on the counter and the cashier added them to the bill. She handed the bag to me and the card plus the receipt to Wes. Abby hooked her arm through Wes's and they walked out of the store, Abby chattering about bridesmaids dresses and centerpieces. I shook my head and followed them a few paces back so I wouldn't have to hear all the gooey lovey details.

Out in the parking lot, Abby hopped in the car with Wes leaving me to ride in my car alone. I didn't mind though. I could play the music as loud as I wanted and I didn't have to hear Abby ranting on about her wedding. Don't get me wrong, I loved my sister, but lately, her favorite topic was the date I was bringing to her wedding. The date which I did not have. I rolled my eyes and pressed play on my CD player and Panic! At The Disco's Nicotine came on. My favorite song by my favorite band. Okay sure I was 25 but I had to cling on something after Wes left me for my sister. So why not cling on to my teenage day's favorite band? Brendon Urie was perfectly gorgeous, single and just 2 years older than me. If only he could be my date. I laughed at myself, turned the volume up and sang along.

Cross my heart and hope to die

Burn my lungs and curse my eyes

I've lost control and I don't want it back

I'm going numb, I've been hijacked

It's a f- drag

I taste you on my lips and I can't get rid of you

So I say damn your kiss and the awful things you do

Yeah, you're worse than nicotine, nicotine

It's better to burn than to fade away

It's better to leave than to be replaced

I'm losing to you, baby, I'm no match

I'm going numb, I've been hijacked

It's a f- drag

I taste you on my lips and I can't get rid of you

So I say d- your kiss and the awful things you do

Yeah, you're worse than nicotine, nicotine

Yeah

Just one more hit and then we're through

'Cause you could never love me back

Cut every tie I have to you

'Cause your love's a f- drag

But I need it so bad

Your love's a f- drag

But I need it so bad

Yeah, you're worse than nicotine, nicotine

Yeah