Chapter Fourteen: New Beginnings

Karma

It’d been days since my breakdown. Days since Kassandra moved from her place on her bed and days since Kyouya left her side. I could see Haruhi begin to worry, but she didn’t know how to handle the situation and neither did Tamaki. In truth, since Kassandra and I showed up they’d become ghosts. I secretly sensed Haruhi knew just how reckless we were and had decided to keep her distance, and maybe she was right to do so. Kassandra and I were toxic. We took a bad situation and made it worse. If we’d never came to Japan, October would still be alive today. She might even be with Kaoru instead of Sandra. Sandra didn’t appreciate him like I knew October did.

I puffed out steam and twirled a mousy curl around my finger. Hikaru slinked to my side and frowned.

“What is it now?” He asked. I turned to stare at him. Dark purple circles underlined his eyes. He looked just as weathered as me. Guilt plucked at my heart. I was the cause of all of this pain. I was the center of it; there was no denying it. I wondered if this was how October felt. She always put others over herself. How did she do it all the time? It was exhausting.

I rolled into Hikaru and hugged him as tight as I could. I wasn’t strong, and he needed to know that if he wanted to be with me. He smoothed out my hair and kissed my head. Something told me he already knew my weaknesses and didn’t care. He just held me, letting me melt into his side. I felt an awing sense of calm when I was with him. I never wanted to let go.

“K-Kaoru.” Kassandra mumbled. I peered over Hikaru’s arm to look at her nestled in the bed. Kyouya stirred. I could see the hurt on his face as he placed his clipboard to the nightstand and inched over to the bed. “Kaoru.” She murmured again.

“He’s not here.” Kyouya explained. “He went out with Honey and Mori. He’ll be back later tonight. Would you like me to call him.”

“No.” She smiled. Her face seemed to light up at the sound of his voice. I pushed Hikaru away to further analyze the situation. I’d never seen Sandra look so calm before. It was strange, and yet, beautiful at the same time. “Kyouya, it’s you!” She exclaimed. She stretched a hand out to his forearm and clasped it hard. He looked at her confused. His glasses slid to the tip of his nose, but he didn’t bother fixing it. “It took all this time for me to realize that you were right. I don’t love Kaoru. Kyouya, I love you. I love you more than words can ever truly explain. I’m so sorry for putting you through hell. And all this time, you never left my side. You never gave up on me. Not even once. How could I ever repay you?”

There were a few awkward beats of silence as Hikaru and I watched the newly blossoming couple. Kyouya stared her down, he let his eyes dance along her body under the covers and then slowly he shut his eyes and lowered himself to her level. Their lips met for one bliss minute. My stomach knotted in excitement. This was it. This was the reason I meddled in the first place. I glanced up at Hikaru who smiled, but as soon as it touched his face, it dissolved. I cocked my head off to one side and felt my brows bind together.

“I just wish there wasn’t so many casualties.” He whispered under his breath. I nodded. He was right. There were so many casualties to get just one couple together. Indie died, Jack got away, and now Kaoru didn’t have anyone to love him. Kaoru’s the one who’s suffered the most. Hikaru’s twin brother. I sighed.

“I’m sorry.” I muttered. “If I could fix it, I would. But I don’t feel like meddling anymore. I hate myself for what I’ve done.”

“What do you mean?” There was no masking the shock in his voice. I sighed resting my head back on his chest.