Chapter Five: Everyone's Fine

Chapter Five: Everyone’s Fine

Kassandra

                I crossed my arms firmly over my chest and leaned all the way back in the seat. Kyouya kept his mouth shut and eyes fixed forward. I could see the gleam of passing cars in the reflection of his glasses. Somehow he managed to talk me into leaving early, but I had questions. A lot of questions.

                “Why’d you come?” I asked after a beat. A small smirk nestled in the side of his mouth. He was taunting me. I tightened my jaw.

                “I was invited, just like you.” He said coolly.

                “But you said you had plans. With the family, if I remember correctly.” I reminded him.

                “I left early.” He said. His voice felt flat. It was my turn to smirk, I caught him in a trap. His family. Something about them made him uncomfortable.

                “Early, huh? Happy for the excuse to leave, if I’m not mistaken.” I pried. His grip on the steering wheel tightened. “You didn’t rescue me, if that’s what you’re thinking. I was perfectly fine on my own.”

                “Oh really? So there was just a piece of dirt caught in your eye?” He grinned. I frowned.

                “No, it was a touching song. That’s the first time I heard her perform live in years. I forgot how-“ I snapped my mouth back shut. I didn’t have to dignify him with an answer.

                “Why do you hate her so much?” He asked. “I’m not wrong in assuming you hate the girl. It was written all over your expression. Every time Kaoru brings her up you flinch. What did she ever do to you?”

                I propped my feet up on the dash and shifted my weight to gaze out the window. He sighed. “Nothing.” I lied. “Absolutely nothing. Your Indie’s a saint. My October was completely different.”

                The car fell silent. All either of us could hear was the soft hum of the engine. I chewed on my bottom lip. This was crazy. I couldn’t allow myself to open up to him. Anyone else but Kyouya.

Karma

                I snapped my phone shut and smiled. Hikaru hung over my shoulder as the crowd continued to sway to the sound of Indie’s voice. I crammed my phone back into my pocket and wrapped myself back in Hikaru’s arms. He squeezed me tight.

“Looks like you were right.” He whispered. “He came for her.”

“I’m never wrong about love.” I informed him. He nodded forcing some distance between us.

                “Now what?” He asked. We both knew her performance was coming to an end but neither one of us had thought past finding Indie before Kaoru. Now that it was almost time to go, we were still at a loss. I knew more than anything in the world he wanted to talk to her, but the simple fact of the matter was he wasn’t ready. And neither was she.

                Hikaru stirred. I could see the wheels in his head turning. As far as I could tell, he was still hung up on what Indie had told him. About how dangerous Kassandra could be given the opportunity. Was he worried about his brother? No. The creases in his forehead suggested otherwise. Something else entirely was bothering him. Something about his posture told me he was resentful. But what was he resentful towards? Me?