Chapter Twelve: All Over

Kassandra

                “Is-Is that blood?” I asked poking a finger at Kaoru’s shirt. I felt the color drain from my face. My stomach knotted. Did something happen with Jack? My whole body trembled as my mind spiraled into worst-case scenario. “W-what happened?”

                Kaoru’s face sank into a frown. He couldn’t meet my gaze, not anymore. He took both of my hands into his and my whole body just melted. Suddenly my leg didn’t hurt anymore. I was ok. Everything just felt right.

                “Indie didn’t make it.” He muttered, and at first, the words didn’t seem to compute in my head. They danced around the room and stretched up the ceiling before finally registering with me.

                I violently shook my head no. Tears rolled down my cheeks. Slender ones at first, but they swelled and expanded and took flight down my face.

                “No!” I screamed. “No! Damn you! Don’t say that!”

                “Kassandra!” Kaoru shouted back. His hands wandered up my arms before resting on my shoulders. He grabbed me hard and shook me back to life. “You have to listen to me! Concentrate!”

                But I couldn’t. I couldn’t tear my eyes away from his blood-stained shirt. Didn’t make it? Blood? It all added up to one thing: death.

                “She’s not dead!” I screamed louder. “She’s not dead!”

                “Kassandra! Listen to me!” His voice rose with rage. I snapped my mouth shut. “Listen, dammit! Answer the question! Do you love me?”

                “Indie just died!” I sobbed. “How could you ask me that after she died?”

                His grip on me fell slack. He buried his face in his hands. “Just, please, answer the question.” He whispered. “So much has happened tonight. Please? For me?”

                I cocked my head off to one side. What was happening? Why did this feel like a lie? This whole thing felt like a trick from Kyouya to Kaoru. I shook my head. In all this drama, my glasses had managed to slip right off my face. I searched for them in the sheets hoping to stall for time. But once again, Kaoru’s hand met mine. My body tingled as I ripped away.

                “Yes!” I muttered. “Are you happy? I’ve been in love with you this whole time, you fool! But you’ve been too damn blind to see it!”

                “Why?” He choked. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

                “Because you’ve been in love with her.” I crinkled my nose in disgust. And then, something amazing happened. I put the pieces together. This is what I wanted all along. God must have heard my prayers. He must have been listening to me. The reason I stabbed my leg wasn’t out of pure idiocy, instead it was to handicap myself from trying to get to October. Kaoru would have never forgiven me if I murdered his beloved Indie. I stifled out a stiff laugh. This was brilliant! Jack did the deed for me! He killed her! God listened! He listened to my prayers! And now, now Kaoru and I could be together! I turned to him and smiled. Confusion swept across his face. I pulled the covers down to my ankles and slowly inched my way closer to him.