Chapter 11

Hello all,

Here's the next chapter of Pyre Boundaries. I hope you like it and make lots of comments. Don't forget to vote.

Thanks

Kal

***************

Nina Marie's POV

The Fae descended on the Lycan pack with a veracity that was unmatched by anything I'd seen before. More than half the Lycan pack was attacked in one way or another. Astral projecting Fae possessed children and adults alike. All of the children and a large percentage of adults in the Lycan pack dropped to the ground and writhed in pain from the possession. I saw the children's tiny hands pressed to their ears while blood dripped from their noses

I knew the Fae were jumping into the adults just to incapacitate them. Adults could eventually fight of the possession and regain control of their bodies. If the Fae continued to fight once the adult gained the upper hand the Fae risked dying. The children however would not be as lucky. The Fae were stronger and had the upper hand. If I didn't interfere it was a guaranteed slaughter. No way could a child survive the brutal possession.

The Fae would either possess the child long enough to obliterate the child's conscious mind. Basically making the small children brain dead. Then the Fae would take full control over the kid's body and use it to their own benefit. Or god forbid if the child had a strong mind or will power the Fae would simply inhabit the child's body and mind until it was assured the child's could no longer survive on its own.

I mentally thanked the gods that the Fae hadn't yet learned of vampirism. When they did, the Fae's battle strategy would change. At least for now I technically had the upper hand. I could stop the Fae and save the child. A few simple words and the Fae were dead and the child was safe. Once they knew about vampirism the Fae would no longer be such easy targets for me. In the future I knew they would incapacitate the adults including me when they could and steel the children. It would take years of butchery and horrors before the Fae realized the children of the shifters cannot be converted. The magic of vampirism only works on human children between the very specific ages of nine and fourteen.

Being from the future has more than one benefit. For one thing I know the Fae will eventually lose the war. While I wish I could just tell everyone the punch line and forego the pain and tragedy history will have to unfold in the way it was meant to. The war will be brutal and last for another two hundred years more or less. Many will die from all the species. In the end the Fae will lose and the Fae and the dragons will be extinct and a new race of vampires will be born. My job is to make sure I save as many of the children of all species as I can.

I knew I had been brought to this time for two purposes. To save the children of the shifters from the painful and heartbreaking death the Fae would visit upon them. Then in a few years from now it will be my job to gather and nurture the race of vampires that is yet to be born. While I was contemplating the future more than fifty Fae warriors seemed to just materialize out of thin air. Water, air, fire and earth Fae were everywhere, their battle axes in hand.

I pulled my own double swords from my back and joined into the fray. I had one goal in mind. Save the children by any means necessary. I hacked, stabbed, shouted spells and pulled out Fae hearts. I faced one opponent after another. I started to get an understanding of the Fae's abilities. They were a strong powerful race. I had a tug of war with one Fae and realized her strength rivaled mine. Then another Fae grabbed a very young child and took off at a run. I tried to chase him but realized within a few moments he was five times faster than me.

I returned to the Lycan camp and turned my attention back to the children. It just seemed that each time I saved a child a new Fae inhabited their tiny bodies. I couldn't seem to get ahead of them. Fae just seemed to pour out of everywhere. At one point I could see they outnumbered us three to one. The Lycan adults put up a good fight but in the end the battle belonged to the Fae. The Fae attacked mercilessly giving no quarter the Lycan. Screams of pain and the smell of death coated the air.

I had just ripped a Fae's heart out and was just about to take on another Fae when I was struck from behind and was knocked to the ground. Then two very large male fire Fae kicked my body and flipped me over. I felt spit hit the center of my face at the exact moment the large Fae's an axe slammed into my chest region. By all accounts the blow was a death sentence for anyone but me. The axe most likely damn near obliterated my heart. I gasped desperately trying to fight the darkness but without a heart to pump my blood my effort was nothing more than a pathetic futile attempt.

With my last breath I called forth the nearest astral projecting Fae and latched my hand around its heart and pulled with the last of my strength. My last thought before the darkness took me was. I'm not alone into the dark. I have taken more than one Fae with me. I however am the only one that will rise again with the sun.

Cian's POV

"Demitri. These kids can't go back to the Lycan pack. We need to provide for them. Come one there must be someone who can help?"

I was a little annoyed that Demetri seemed unaffected by the tiny pups. I had expected Demetri to welcome the babes to COR and offer to help find them homes with one of the Lycan families. I had even expected that he would have a sense of urgency in helping me. After all, I had explained what Nina Marie was doing and I even explained how the poor babes were orphans now and needed someone to take care of them. Despite that, it seemed the only thing Demetri felt was relevant was that I had left COR to follow Nina Marie who was considered banned by the council. Finally just as I was about to take matters into my own hands yet again, I watched Demetri's face soften with emotion as he said calmly

"Perhaps Doc Maggie would be a suitable guardian. It is my understanding most of the Lycan within COR believe she is their rightful Luna. I know she adores children of all races and I think perhaps she has some issues that might keep her from having her own. Why not pop by the hospital and see what she thinks. If nothing else she may know a Lycan couple looking to adopt."

"Thanks a bunch Demetri"

I said back to him with the sound of far more gratitude in my voice then I felt. After all what I really wanted him to do was take the kids off my hands not point me in a direction. I needed to get back to Nina Marie. It was well past sunset and at this rate it would be mid-day before I could get back.

I rounded the corner and burst through the hospital doors. I must have been a bit louder and more abrupt than Doc Maggie was accustomed to. She damn near jumped out of her skin and squealed in surprise at my arrival. Then noticing the two small children tucked under my arms she started to rapidly shoot questions at me.

"Are they okay? Where are they hurt? Quickly put them on the table so I can examine them. What happened? Where are their parents?"

I managed to set both babes on the examining table but had yet to get a word in. Finally in pure frustration I basically shouted with my full dragon voice behind it

"Stop! The kids are fine. The mom and dad are dead. You need to take care of them. I have to go!"

I intended to spin on my heels and abruptly leave the hospital when I realized Maggie's face had gone as pale as the white sheets on the exam table. Then she blinked rapidly and the scent of fear flooded the room. I instinctively moved to grab the kids but Maggie got to them first and took a huge step away from me. Her finger was wagging towards the door, and I could tell she was trying to say something but was distracted by the sound of crackling wood.

Then before I could even blink the hospital door flew off the wall and slammed into my back knocking me to the floor. I heard his growl and felt his hot wolf breath on my neck. I sighed inwardly to myself. This was just another delay. I should have known better. I'd lived with the Maggie and Luke's drama for years. He would have heard her squeal and smelled her fear. Of course he would jump to conclusions and cause a scene. That's what Luke did best.

It took nearly an hour to get Luke to calm down and Maggie to agree to keep the babies. Not wanting any more distractions or delays I left COR without even checking in on my parents. I did however leave a note with Maggie for my mom. I wanted to let her know I didn't blame her or dad and that I was going to stay on the outside with Nina.

My wings ached as I flew back to the Lycan camp at full speed. I did mybest to coast on the wind when possible but I was going against the current.Worse the sun was rising directly in front of me and was impeding my vision. Ismelled the heavy thick scent of blood and death from more than five milesout. I felt the bile hit the back of mythroat as the vision of the bodies strewn about in all direction came into viewI forced myself to scan the ground for any sight of Nina Maria. I finallyspotted her blood soaked body lying amongst the dead.