Chapter 5

Here's the next chapter of Pyre Boundaries. I'd considered writing the entire book in Cian's POV but have changed my mind.  Nina has been shouting to have her voice heard. So... Then next chapter will be from her POV. We will finally hear her side of the story and what's been going on since she left COR.

Anyhow, let me know what you think so far and what you are hoping Nina will enlighten us about.

Thanks

Kal

OH PS for those of you who know who Kenyan is.. YES it is him and YES - Tendai and Dakarai are his adoptive parents.

***

Cian's POV

"I'm so sorry Cian. We were just so afraid. The world is not a good place and well, my husband panicked and thought you planned on eating us. You must understand we have a child to protect and did what came naturally. I am very sorry. At least I was able to mostly heal you. I'm pretty good at magic and I think I've done a great job of minimizing the damage to you. Please forgive us."

I watched Tendai nervously squeeze her hands as she allowed her eyes to beseech me. I knew the only reason she used her magic to heal me was because they realized without me they would starve to death in this cave. Without me to bring them safely back to the ground they had no chance for survival. Oh, I knew they wanted me to believe they had a change of heart but dragons even mixed dragons don't do deceit well.

Tendai was lying by omission. I could tell that she was uncomfortable with the actions her husband Dakarai used but she supported his decision no matter what. She knew and allowed him to attack me. It wasn't until they realized their situation that they had second thoughts. I bet they scrambled to cast the spell that saved my life. I wanted to leave them to their own fate. I should never have rescued them in the first place. I heard her take a long uncomfortable pause before continuing

"Please forgive us. I understand if you feel you need to punish me and my husband. We gladly offer our flesh. But please spare our child. He's human and frail and he can't possibly give a pound of flesh."

She paused again and I stood up with the intention of just leaving without a word. I wanted no part of them. I would not be satisfied with their pound of flesh. I just wanted to leave and find Nina. I wasn't sure how much time had passed but Nina was my priority. Then just as I was about to throw myself from the cave, the human child made a whimpering sound. I found myself looking over at the small helpless human. He did look so small and frail, and he couldn't have been more than seven or eight certainly less than ten.

One look into his tiny little helpless human face and I knew I couldn't possibly abandon them. I sighed in defeat then found myself giving the child a genuine smile. I cocked my head to the side and turned back to face Tendai and Dakarai. I grimaced and said between my tight lips

"You two are lucky that I choose to give you mercy. You are both dishonorable. I am no fool and I know you are lying Tendai. However, for the sake of the child I will not punish either of you. I believe that children no matter their race are precious, and the one thing I believe you have been honest about is your love for the child. Now, I need to know how long I was out so I can figure out our next steps."

Tendai swallowed loudly then said in a voice filled with admiration

"Thank you Cian. We've only been in the cave for two days. My husband Dakarai and I are forever in your debt. We will from this day forward not only count you as friend but also as family. We will never again be dishonest with you and we both swear to make up for our past actions. On our blood you have our oath."

Then both Tendai and Dakarai bent down on one knee and slammed their fist into their chest. I smiled at their show of respect. I was surprised however they chose to honor me with a traditional dragon form usually reserved for troupe commanders. I smiled and used my hands to indicate that they should both rise.