CHAPTER 16

Here's the next part. I am working on another chapter for IB before coming back to this hopefully later this week, or next week. Please comment and post. I love the engagement and feedback, it makes me want to write more.Thanks

Kal

**********************

Cian's POV

She paused again and made eye contact with me. I rolled her words over and over in my mind and I could see the truth in them. I understood the ways of magic and I had a pretty good idea of exactly what Kenyan's parents did. Hell, I even had a sneaky suspicion I knew exactly who Kenyan, Tendai and Dakari were. I also knew based on the magic she described exactly why vampires have the powers they have, their strength, speed and astral projecting abilities are from the Fae. The memory and illusion manipulation abilities are Bastet and mental manipulations and psychometry comes from the Lycan. The Dragons however are the sole source of their psionic inundation abilities."

Nina Marie must have read my mind since she suddenly smiled and shouted

"Ah ha!!! I knew it was true. Well, I am praying the next part is true too. Because if it is, then I have at least ten years before the vampire outbreak. Ten years to plan and get this under control."

Okay, now she was losing me. I scrunched up my face and said

What outbreak?" She laughed and continued

"The rest of the story says that in the early days after my uncle was turned, he drank from his mother and kept it secret from his dad. When his mom died of old age Kenyan was forced to find other ways of securing his daily need for fresh blood. Legend says, that's how others found out about him. When the Fae discovered what Kenyan had become they too wanted to run their own experiments. They were curious if they could create new host bodies for their souls so that they might find a way to survive the Fae wars. As a result human children were hunted and turned all over the world creating the vampire outbreak. I'm hoping that part of the story's true because the outbreak is the reason I'm here."

Nina stopped talking for a moment and got up and moved over to the cooked elk and grabbed a piece before coming back and sitting next to me. So much for her being impervious to the cold. Her wonderful scent filled my nostrils. It was so wonderful being this close to her. Her thigh pressing up against mine. She smelled so good, but the feel of her body against mine scent my libido into over drive. I wanted more. I wanted so badly to know what she would feel like completely pressed up against me. That's it, I am going to kiss her. So with my hormones on overdrive, I pulled Nina across my lap and lowered my head with the intention of kissing her senseless, but before my lips touched hers she pushed away and said

"Now, now lover boy. I can see you are ready to take our relationship to the next level. I'm not there yet. I didn't move over here because I was cold, I moved over so we could get a little closer. Let's try to get to know each other a bit better before we become bed buddies. I'm a flowers and hand holding kind of girl. I might let you kiss me goodnight, but not until the date is over. Now relax and let me finish. I'm building up to a major point here."

She smiled warmly at me and even squeezed my hand. Then without putting any distance between us she launched right back into her story.

"So, after I moved here I had a dream. Well, not so much a dream as a revelation of a buried memory. A memory of my uncle Kenyan and my aunt Leona telling me this was all going to happen."

She managed to snuggle a little closer and I felt her head lean up against my shoulder. I couldn't help but wonder if perhaps she was telling the truth about the cold. Maybe she was getting so close because she was looking for encouragement and strength as she continued.

"They told me that right around the same time as my uncle Kenyan was being made into the first vampire, the Fae created a body snatching spell. I think, the very same spell that I have been fighting for months. This spell was going to end the war. With the spell, they could snatch the bodies of the shifters and finally destroy the beast tribes forever.

But, their planned failed because they had a champion. A woman unlike any other on earth. A woman that sacrificed everything to save the children. She dedicated her life to saving as many children as she could. If not for her tireless effort and non-stop fighting against the Fae the war would have gone a very different way.

Then the Fae learned of the first vampire and knew they had the final key to success. So, they set out and attempted to turn every human child they could into a vampire. So very many of the children didn't survive the process. Even the few children that did survive the process often died in the first few hours of life. The Fae didn't understand what they created, so they went about it all wrong. They never let the children have their first feeding, instead they would attempt to snatch the child's body while they were in full blood lust.

During blood lust a vampire is almost insane and completely insatiable for blood. The Fae would slip inside and within moments the Fae and would become completely insane and kill everything in its path without discretion. Eventually someone, beast or Fae would have to end their life. These were the darkest of all days in all of history. There was only one guiding shining light that gave the people hope. The champion traveled the earth over and over again saving as many children as she could. When she was too late, and a child was already turned then she kept the Fae from jumping into the child's body. Then she would help raise the child and teach it how to live.

Because of her, the Fae failed in creating a host for themselves but they did succeeded in creating a new race. That race survived only because of the very special and very different abilities and knowledge that she had. Without the champion, the race and the children and perhaps all the tribes of earth would have died. That champion is me. Me... I am the champion and I think you are supposed to help me. It is no mistake that I am here. It's my destiny to make sure that the shifters, humans and vampires survive the Fae wars not in COR but on earth."

Given what I knew about Nina and her amazing abilities, I could see how this could all be true. We spent the next hour talking about destiny and fighting against it. She told me about some of her other relatives in the future and how they tried and failed to change destiny. We laughed and joked and I even managed to get in a stolen kiss or two.

Bottom line, in my mind, the day I brought Nina across space and time, I knew the magic I used would have a terrible price. Now, I had an idea of just what that price would be. Saving the children. Nina was right, this wasn't just her destiny it was mine too. She was always meant to tangle her soul with mine, and I was always meant to bring her to my world and time. We were always meant to be together. Fighting our destiny was futile. I knew that, and I think Nina knew it too. Otherwise she wouldn't have curled up in my lap and drifted off to sleep.

You know my mom always says, if you can beat them, join them. Tonight while Nina was talking, I figured out exactly how to get Nina out of my mind. The strange this was, I wasn't even sure I wanted her out, so... I already know Nina Marie is my soul mate. Whether or not it started that way, there was no denying it now. It was destiny. I never wanted to be with another woman. Hell, I already loved her even if she doesn't love me. Nina abruptly shot up from my lap, face nearly white as a ghost as she blurted out hysterically

"Love? You can't love me! I'm not ready for that. I wasn't supposed to have a soul mate. All of this is well... I'm not ready! You need to at least try to build a wall or something. I don't want to know how you feel. It's not fair to me."