Chapter 22

Chapter 22

I stared up at the clock. I really needed to get to class... but Janice really sounded desperate. 

Before I could change my mind I stood up, threw my bad over my shoulder and left the cafeteria. I continued down the hall until I reached the exit.

And then I left.

It felt weird. It felt... liberating. I was breaking the rules. I was breaking the rules, and no one knew! I was breaking the rules and no one could stop me! This was awesome! Was this why people skipped school, and did drugs, and all that stuff? Just to know that they're doing something bad, and getting away with it?

Now that I think about it, people probably skip school because school sucks. And do drugs because... there drugs. And honestly, they probably have some other problems.

I realized this when I was a little over a block away from school. And at the realization of this, the feeling of liberation slowly drained away. And it was replaced. By a much less awesome feeling. I got... scared. What if my next teacher realized I wasn't there, and told the principle, who then tried to call my mom after school, but would only get James, who would explain the situation we were in with our mom, which would end with us in foster care.

I tried to shake off the feeling, but It was inside me, like a little demon, twisting around my stomach, and making my heart beat at double the normal pace. I swallowed. I could see the movie theater, just a block away now. I started walking faster, as if my principal was going to come out and see me. After a second, I just broke out running until I burst through the doors of the theater.

The theater was pretty deserted. I guess people don't really like watching movies at noon on thursdays.

I walked up to the huge counter, with big signs advertising there combo meals, and giant containers of popcorn above it.

"Excuse me?" I asked the pasty, pimply guy who seemed to be sleeping while standing next to the slushy machine.

"Huh?" He asked, jolting awake. "Oh, uh, hi. What can I get for, um, you?"

"Do you know where Janice is?"

The guy sighed, and pointed towards a small wood door. I walked over, and noticed the sign on the door: "Supply Closet." I looked back unsure at the pimply guy, but he was back to sleep standing.

I lightly knocked on the door. "Janice?"

She replied with a huge sob.

"Janice?" I asked again, opening the door.

"M-Molly?"

"Yeah, it's me."

"Oh my god!" Janice jumped up from her place curled up on the floor next to a mop and fell into my arms. "I can't believe this! I just c-can't!"

"What happened?" I asked, trying to pry her off me. "Are you... hurt?"

I could feel her shake her head, no. That, or she was wiping her nose on my shoulder. Or both. Probably both.

I managed to pull her off of me, just leading to her collapsing onto the floor. She let out another huge sob, and curled back up into a ball. I sighed, and sat down next to her.

"Janice?"

Sob.

"Janice? What happened?"

Sob. Sob, sob.

"Janice, can you please tell me?"

Wail.

"Janice!"

Janice wiped her eyes, and looked up at me. "H-h-he, he..."

Sob, sniff, sob.

"He, said we n-n-n-need a... a... b-b-break."

"Liam?"

Wail.

"Is that a yes?"

Sob, sob, wail.

"I'll take that as a yes."

I sighed, and wrapped my arms around her. She was crying to hard, she fell back onto the ground. I ignored the smelliness of the floor, and lay down, in order to keep the hug that she desperately needed from being disturbed.

"Tell me how it happened."

"H-he, came, and he said th-that he doesn't feel c-c-COMFORTABLE, with my j-job."

"You mean Dirty Girls?"

"Uh, huh. He's b-been fine with it for the p-past year, and n-now he suddenly c-can't take it! So, he said w-we should take a b-break. Which I know is c-c-code f-f-f-"

Sniffle, sniffle, wail, sob.

"It's ok," I whispered. We stayed on the slimy floor for a good long time, until I forced her to get up, and helped her out into the main area.

We sat down in the corner, and I bought us a huge popcorn, junior mints, 2 giant sodas, and a slushy (she wanted both a soda and a slushy). The total came to well over 50 dollars, but I would get the money back from her some other time.

"I fucking, LOVED him," Janice cried, through a mouth of popcorn.

"I know."

"And he loved me. He did right? He loved me."

"Of course he did."

"He loved me!"

Silence.

"And he was ok with the fact that I was a stripper? Why does he even care? It's just a job! It's not like I would sleep with any of those guys! I mean, I have morals. And, I LOVED him."

"You already said that."

"Shut up."

"Ok."

Janice sighed and rubbed her eyes. "I'm sorry Molly. I dragged you out of school for this."

"No, it's fine, I-"

"I should have called someone else. I'm sorry. You can go back there now."

"No, it's already-" I looked at the clock- "2:30. School's practically over."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive."

Janice gave me a sort of pitiful look, which I didn't understand, because if anyone should be giving anyone a pitiful look, it should be me. 

Janice sighed again, and stood up. "Really. Go. I need to work, and stuff. I'll see you at Dirty Girls tonight?"

"Are you sure you should come?" I asked. "Maybe you should just stay home. For tonight at least. Watch The Notebook with some Ben and Jerry's or something. That's what girls do when this stuff happens right?"

"I guess," Janice said. "I've never actually been dumped before."

"He didn't dump you," I reminded her. "It's just a break. He'll be begging for your forgiveness in a week."

Janice showed the smallest smile. "Ok. Go. Seriously. I'll see you tonight."

"Bye." I called, as I left.

---

Hi. I guess...

It's raining, and it makes me sad and depressed. As if you care.

Thanks for reading! And that shit. Vote, and comment. Pretty Please?

Ok, I am really tired. I'll go back through and do spell check later.

Thank you. Really, I love all you guys.

Ok. Sleep.

XOX