Chapter 44

Chapter 44

Janice was crying as she returned James into my arms.

"It's ok, Janice," I told her, adjusting James so he rested on my hip. "We're gonna be ok."

"I know," Janice said, digging through her purse. "I just... god Molly I can't believe what you've gone through."

Janice pulled out a crumpled tissue and blew her nose. "We're going to be fine."

"I know. Max is going to take excellent care of you. He's kinda crazy about you."

She smiled, wiping away the tears on her cheeks. "Please don't forget that you shouldn't always put James before yourself."

"I'll try," I promised.

Janice leaned down to lightly kiss James frazzled hair. Then she reached around him to hug me.

"And remember to call us every now and then," Janice said. "And if we can we'd love to visit you. And we're always here if you need anything, ok, anything at all."

"I'll be fine Janice."

Janice managed one last smile. "Ok. I should go back to the car."

I walked her to Toby's car, slightly surprised to see Emma and Abby still in the back seat. I leaned down to look at Drew through the open window to the drivers seat.

"What are you gonna do with them?" I asked.

"Well, not everyone can be lucky enough to have their own boy offering up their homes," Drew said, giving me a slight smirk. "So we're gonna drive them up to her cousin's place."

"Really?"

"It's there best option. Thought we could help at least with transportation."

"That's really sweet of you, Drew."

Drew's expression became slightly more sincere. "Take care of yourself, ok Molly?"

"I will."

"I don't doubt you'll be taking great care of James."

I giggled, feeling James' cheek resting on my shoulder. "I will, don't worry."

"And there's not a chance in hell that Max won't give you the life of a princess."

"Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say princess..."

"He's a good kid. He'll take care of you."

I felt my cheeks growing pink. "Thank you for coming Drew."

Drew smiled. "Anytime. Don't totally cut us out of your life, Ok?"

"Ok."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

Drew beamed. "Good. We'll be checking up on you all the time."

"Thank you."

"Can we get going?" Emma asked from the back seat.

Drew rolled his eyes. "Bye, Molly."

"Bye, Drew. And bye, Toby," I said, looking to the passenger seat.

"Bye, Molly."

"Bye Emma. Bye Abby. I hope everything turns out ok with your cousin."

Emma glared. Abby was silent.

After Janice got out of the car again to give me another hug, and Emma yelled at her again twice, the car started driving away. Max came up besides me as I watched it get smaller and smaller until it took a right and disappeared.

"Those are some friends you got," Max said.

"Yeah."

There was a moment of wonderful silence.

"I think we should probably get going if we want to catch our bus."

"Do you have enough money for us all?"

"I carry, like, 200 dollars around with me at all times."

I scoffed, looking at him. "Why would you do that?"

Max shrugged. "Just incase any emergencies like these come up."

I beamed at him.

"Come on," He said. "Let's get going."

The walk to the nearest bus stop was 20 minutes, the wait only 10. The entire ride back was one of the best feelings of my life, knowing that I was actually heading somewhere better than the place I had left. We were the only 3 people on the bus, and we saw the sun start to rise through the dirty windows. My smile never left my face.

After about half an hour James started to wake up in the seat besides me.

"Molly?" He asked groggily.

"Hey James," I said, keeping my voice soft.

"Where are we?"

"It's ok James. We're going somewhere really nice, I promise."

James looked to Max. "Who's he?"

"This is Max. He's giving us a place to live."

"Oh."

"Don't worry, everything will be fine," I promised.

And for the first time in a very long time, I actually believed it.

---

Aye bro.

(sarcasm)

Thank you so much for reading! If you liked it, please vote, comment, you know the drill.

Camp nanowrimo just started and I'm freaking out so much, ohmygod.

Oh, and Strip is ending. 

IT'S ENDING VERY SOON. 

I NEED TO PREPARE MYSELF MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY FOR THIS.

Sorry for any grammar/spelling mistakes.

Thanks again!

XOX