Chapter 12

Chapter 12

*Victoria*

I laid with Aaron in his bed. The house is mostly quiet with only the sound of Ms. Evans watching TV downstairs. Caleb left hours ago and Sophie was put to bed about an hour and a half ago. She had fun today and tired herself out.

I looked over at Aaron who stared off into space at the ceiling. He's been acting strange ever since that girl showed up here. I didn't want to bother him and ask who she was, but now I'm getting concerned.

"Aaron, are you okay?"

"Hm?" he looked at me a little surprised. Did he forget that I'm laying here? "Yeah, yeah, why do you ask?"

"I don't know, you just seem out of it."

"I'm just tired is all."

"I should leave so you can get some sleep." I began to sit up and Aaron grabbed my arm.

"No, stay." he said, looking at me with sad eyes. "I'm sorry I'm so distant."

"You can talk to me." I said, laying back down. "You can always talk to me. "

"I know that." he smiled. "But really I'm just tired."

"Then sleep." I gave him a light kiss before getting up. "I'll see you later."

I left before Aaron could stop me again. He really does look a little tired, and if he'd just go to sleep and stop fighting it, he'll feel better.

"You're leaving?" Ms. Evans asked, looking over the couch at me.

"Yeah, it's getting pretty late. Thank you for inviting me."

"Oh, it was nothing. We enjoy your company." I smiled. "See you soon."

"Bye."

*Aaron*

The next morning I reluctantly woke to my alarm. I didn't sleep well last night at all. I couldn't keep my mind off of Grace. All I could do was try and come up with possible explanations as to why she'd come back after all of this time. Some make sense and some don't, but they all have me exhausted.

"Daddy, Daddy!" Sophie came running into my room. She grabbed hold of my hand and began shaking my arm. "Daddy, Daddy!" she continued.

"Sophie, not today. Daddy is really, really tired." I mumbled, trying to stay awake as I made my way to the bathroom. "Go help Grandma make breakfast."

Without a word Sophie ran off to help my mom. I slowly made my way into the bathroom and went to stand under the cold water from the shower. I expected this to wake me up, but nope.

After my shower I threw on a simple pair of grey sweats, a black t-shirt, socks, and my Benassi Nike slippers. I don't care if I look like a bum. I'm tired and I plan on going back to sleep once I get to class.

I went downstairs and met my mom and Sophie in the kitchen. My mom furrowed her brows as she looked at me.

"You look like the walking dead." she said. "What happened?"

"You mean what didn't happen." I corrected her. "Sleep. I didn't get any."

"Why? Victoria didn't stay late."

"Grace Valentine, she's back." I explained.

Shock crossed my mom's face, then anger, then confusion. That's everything I've been feeling at once since she showed up.

"Why?" she asked.

"Because she wants to be in Sophie's life."

"Well she can't. She gave that up when she abandoned her."