Chapter 19 (Part 1)

Chapter 19

*Aaron*

I sat on the grass with Grace as we watched Sophie play on the playground. This was all I could promise her after cancelling our original plans. I know she's a little disappointed about it, but I still want her to see Sophie.

"I'm really sorry about cancelling on you." I apologized.

"Don't worry about it." Grace shrugged. "Victoria is your girlfriend. Of course she's going to get jealous of you hanging out with me."

"Yeah, but it's for the sake of our daughter. She understood that up until now. I don't know what's gotten into her."
"Talk to her about it. Maybe there's a reason she feels so insecure all of a sudden. I mean isn't that what you two do? Talk it out?"

"Actually, I'm not really sure. We've never had a fight before now."

"Really?" Grace said in disbelief. "You guys are that perfect?"

"We're not perfect. We're just... in love." I shrugged.

I watched as Sophie made her way towards us, a smile plastered on her face. Once to us, she fell out on the ground breathing heavily.

"Having fun?" I asked her with a smile.

"Yeah." She responded with a nod.

"How about after this we go for ice cream?" Grace suggested, looking at me for confirmation. I gave her a slight nod as Sophie sat up to scream in excitement.

"Sprickles?" Sophie asked, not really saying the word correctly. She beamed up at Grace with wide eyes.

"Yes with sprinkles." Grace replied with a smile.

Sophie immediately wrapped her arms around Grace in a hug. I stared in shock at the action. Sophie wasn't exactly happy to see Grace when she showed up this morning. In fact, she was pretty upset by the idea of the three of us spending the day together. I guess all she needed was a little play time and an ice cream offer.

Grace hesitantly wrapped her arms around Sophie, hugging her back. The action obviously surprised her too. When Sophie let go, she ran over to the small group of kids to tell them the news.

"I can't believe she just hugged me." Grace said, sounding a little dazed.

"You're her mother. There was no way she could resist you."

After spending a few more minutes at the park, we went for ice cream like we'd promised. Sophie got her small vanilla ice cream cone with sprinkles, and Grace and I both got plain chocolate cones.

"How does it taste?" Grace asked Sophie, who had ice cream all over her face.

"Yummy." Sophie replied with a smile.

"Good. I'm glad you like it."

I looked between Sophie and Grace. Eventually I'll have to tell Sophie the truth about Grace. I'm not sure if she'll understand, or if she'll be happy about it. I know that every second Grace is fighting the urge to tell Sophie and it makes me happy that she allows me to make the decision. It proves to me that she's really in this for the long run. She's been waiting for so long. I'm not sure if I should make her wait any longer.

"I'm going to tell Sophie tonight." I said.

"What?" Grace asked, furrowing her brows. I smiled at the image. Sophie looks exactly the same when she furrows her brows.

"I'm going to tell Sophie the truth about you tonight. For now let's just enjoy this day."

"You're really going to tell her?" Grace asked, a large smile spreading across her face. "I can't believe it. I thought it would take years to prove myself to you. Thank you."