Chapter Five- Cheat? (Alex)

"Do you like it?" Josh asked hope glimmered in his eyes.

"Wow" was all I managed to reply... no other words would form. Josh just smiled and sat on the pebble covered floor.

It was the most enchanting place on earth. There was a glistening lake full of fish, ducks and all sorts. The water clear and sky blue, it was gorgeous. On the right side of it was a huge wood full of lush, emerald green trees and to the left was a field bursting with life. Everything stretched on for miles. But I had an inkling that there was more than meets the eye, that I was missing something obvious about this place.

"Guessing you've never been here before then, I’m not surprised. I've came here all my life, I used to live up the road and whenever I was in a bad mood or needed to be alone I’d come here. No-one ever comes here apart from me." I didn't reply I just looked out and watched a bee fly about, spreading pollen. Josh picked up pebbles and started throwing them into the lake. It was so peaceful, I wished George was here.

As if reading my mind Josh asked "how's your boyfriend anyways? I haven't heard from him for a while"

My gaze fell on him, several moments passed before I answered him, I felt as though my heart was being squeezed just at the thought of George. "I have no clue if I’m perfectly honest. Sent one message to me the other night, but apart from that, I know just as much as you do"

"Oh, well... you know. Just got to give him time I guess. Though I’d be careful if I was you, I’ve heard some rumours about him, seems to me like he is up to no good. Do you know who Sadie is?"

"Of course, it's not like I am new or anything. I've lived round here all of my life, I know most the people in the neighbourhood."

"That’s nice, but, she's a good mate of mine, the reason me and George know each other. I was talking to her earlier, seems like George has been talking to her a lot, they even met up yesterday-"

"What? but-" he cut me off.

"But what? Thought you haven't spoken to him. His always been a bloody cheat, you really think he is better than that? God, if you believe he really hasn't cheated on you more fool you." annoyance and frustration laced in his voice.

"You really think he would? After a heart attack? You joking?" my voice slowly raised and before I knew it I was shouting "you think I am that dumb to not recognise when he is cheating? He wouldn't cheat on me especially now!"

"God, calm down. Do you actually believe a word you're saying? Maybe you think if you repeat it enough time it will become true, trust me bub he is a sly guy he has done this many times before, right now he has the sympathy vote it's easier to get the girl... and now I am gonna shut-up, don't cry it isn't something worth crying about." he went to put his arms around me, and I nearly let him but decided against it, and shrugged them off. "Look babe I didn't mean to upset you, it's just he has done this tons of times and I am fed up of it, I don't want anyone to get hurt." he looked away before he added "especially you".

I turned his head to face me and looked up into his bold eyes "thank you" I said before I stood up about to leave.

He grabbed my arm "what are you doing?"