1

Sunday 6:12 AM.
Sidney Daniels

I woke up to the sound of a basketball hitting the pavement. I furrowed my eyebrows confused as to what it was coming from. I turned to look at my calendar before I saw that Von, my neighbor got back home this morning from basketball camp.

I walked over to my window and opened the curtain. I looked down at him and he looked at me and winked before shooting a 3. I rolled my eyes before I walked to my closet.

I picked out my pink unicorn robe before pulling it on and walking downstairs. My Dad already left for work which means I had the house to myself. I ate some cereal before going back upstairs and pulling on some bike shorts and a tank top along with my white air max 270.

I walked next door by passing Von and of course he felt the need to speak to me.

"Hey Nini," he said calling me by my childhood family name.

"Did my Dad tell you that?" I asked.

"Maybe," he shrugged as he dribbled over to me.

"When you actually gon come out here and play a one on one with me?" He asked.

"When pigs fly," I said crossing my arms.

"They gon be flyin soon, trust me," he said.

"Trust that pigs will fly soon or that we'll have a one on one?" I asked causing him to furrow his eyebrows as he dribbled and thought about the question.

I shook my head before walking in his house to see my bestfriend, Alli sitting on the couch eating a bag of chips. I sat down next to her before grabbing the bag of chips.

"Hey bitch," I said before stuffing a handful in my mouth.

"Hey, Von woke you up?" She asked.

"That nigga worse than an alarm clock," I said before we heard him yell out of excitement.

"School starts tomorrow-"

"Do you have to do that?" I asked.

"Do what?" She asked.

"Remind me," I replied.

She rolled her eyes before grabbing a handful of chips.

"I'm serious though. It's our junior year, we need to start getting ready. What we don't do this year affects us next year and I'm trying to have a stress free senior year," she said.

"I don't think that's scientifically possible," I said.

"Are you still thinking about being a cop?" She asked while Von walked in the house.

He scrunched up his nose when he heard it and I stuffed chips in my mouth to try and avoid the tension.

"You want to be a cop?" He asked as if I was betraying him.

"Is it such a bad idea?" I asked.

He just shook his head before going into his room. Last summer he had his fair shares of getting racially profiled from the police. He never liked them, even before the first incident but now he hates them with a passion.