Chapter 6: Problems can lead to an answer

Problems. That's what I have.

Alana told me I could live with her this summer, because I certianly wasn't going back home. So I moved my stuff from James's sister's place to Alana's. I was actually a little happy about it.

James helped us move some of my stuff over there. It all fit in his car, really. All I had was clothes, tooth brush, phone, stuffed animals, and a couple of other things. We drove up to Alana's house after jamming to the radio. He turned it off and we both got out of the car.

"I never thought I'd see the day when Leslie Fell moved in with Alana James." he smiled as he opened the backseat.

"Ha, ha." I said.

"You used to hate her."

"I didn't hate her. I just didn't see the point in helping a lost cause."

He grabbed a duffle bag and walked over to the side of the car I was on. "I'm really sorry for that day, honestly. But it helped us become closer. That's the day everything started. Right?"

"Yeah, that's when. When we all changed."

"I know Wesley was changed."

"By what?"

Before he could answer, Alana walked out of the house. "Hey guys." she said. "Let me help you with that." she said, talking about the duffle bag.

"Ah ah, I'll be a gentleman." James smiled, taking the duffle bag into the house.

We giggled. Alana hugged me. "I'm so happy you're moving in here."

"Surprisingly, I am too." I said. "Better than living at home."

"I know, we'll get it all straightened out."

We took everything into the house and James said goodbye. Something was comfortable about James.

Alana showed me to her room, where I'd be staying until they got another room ready for me. Then she introduced me to her parents. I never have felt so welcomed by anyone in my entire life, except for Alana.

That evening, we ate dinner as family. Family....was I apart of this family? I was just staying here for the summer, so why would they call me family? Or..am a considered family to them?

Then Alana and I hung out in her room, talking.

"You know, Leslie. It's okay to talk to me about your life."

"What do you mean?"

"I know you have a rough past. I want you to know you're welcome to talk to us.."

"To start, my real name's not Leslie." I said.

"It isn't? What is it?" she asked.

"Summer."

"Why did everyone call you Leslie?"

I took a deep breath. "My dad's been in prision, and if anyone knew I was Chris Fell's daughter..they'd make fun of me more."

"Do you mind if I call you Summer sometimes?" she asked.

"I'd like that." I smiled.

"So if you don't mind me asking..what happened to your mom?"

"She got tired of dealing with my dad and left. She was strong for doing that."

"You did the same."

"I know, but I eventually have to go back."

"Do you sometimes wish she had taken you with her?"

"Sometimes..but I had my brother, who's two years younger than me. I think she was so mad that she didn't think about us and that she would've given us a good life. If it was just me, maybe she would've taken me. Or just him. Maybe she would've taken him. But I'm happy she didn't take just one of us, because I made sure my brother had a good childhood as terrible as mine was..now he's moved out and I haven't seen him since two months before school started. I don't know where he is."

"It worries you, doesn't it?"

"Yeah..I'm scared."

"Come here." she said, motioning for me to sit near her. Alana gave me a hug as I tried not to cry.

"He's been gone for months. I don't know if he's okay or not."

"Maybe your dad knows something about him." she said, grabbing her phone.

"WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA, NO WAY." I tried to warn her. But she dialed the number. I jumped on top of her and tried to grab the phone. But she was muscular! I mean really, who has that much strength? I got a hold of the phone and got off her. I stepped back. "Call my dad, and I'll call Kyle Davidson!"

"Oh snap you wouldn't." she freaked out. "Not him."

"Yes, I will. But only if you call my dad."

"Why don't you want me to call your dad? Aren't you worried about your brother?"

"Yes.."

"I'll either call your dad, or report that he's abusing you."

I didn't know which would be better. "I have problems Alana. You can't just do this."

"Yes I can. Because problems can lead to solutions."

Maybe she was right.....maybe there was hope. 

Sorry, not my best chapter. But thanks for reading :) -Sarah