Chapter 9: Dinner

Sorry for the long wait.

Not edited

Enjoy

Chapter 9: Dinner

My worst nightmare is directly across from me.

I don't know whether to face it right on or kick it away.

The second option is way more appealing to me, but the first is sadly what I choose.

I reluctantly pull my math homework towards me and flip it open to the correct page. I've always been an average student in math, but it’s still really hard for me.

I decide to plug my earphones in to pass the time with some music. I shove the phone in my pocket, and get out a pencil.

I start on the first problem and I'm already dreading having to finish the next 15. I used to do this homework with Carter because he is really good at math, but now I can't.

Oh the cons of living in different places!

Which reminds me, he still hasn’t called me back since I sent him that text at lunch. It's a little weird he hasn't answered, but he must be busy with something. I ignore the nagging feeling arising again and focus on the paper in front of me.

I was halfway through the problems when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

I'm not the best person to sneak up on, unless your goal is to scare me. Which is precisely why my earphones now lay on the floor across the room and my heart is pounding a mile a minute.

"I didn't mean to scare you" he steps backwards a little, but I still have to crane my neck to see Jared standing in front of me. "I knocked on the door" he adds.

I glance at my earphones thrown across the room and then back at him. His gaze travels to them and walks over to pick them up. He tosses them next to me on the bed nonchalantly.

Walking over to one of the large walls he glides a finger across the surface slowly, the muscle in his arm flexing as he does so, "Are you going to do anything to it?"

"To what?" I ask in confusion, sitting up on the bed.

"The room"

I myself look around now. The walls are a pale blue and crisp white curtains rest at the sides of a bay window. That's pretty much it. Of course something could be done to personalize it, but I like it like this. Maybe I’ll stick a few photographs up, but that's it.

"I like it. The simplicity of it is nice" I shrug, sitting at the edge of the bed. I toy with the thin sheets for a second before I start to wonder.

What's he doing here anyways?

"Dinner's ready. Your mom told me to come get you" he says as if reading my mind. I get off the bed and walk over to the door with him following behind me. We exit the room and start to make our way downstairs, the distant chatter of the parents growing closer.

When we walk into the dining room the parents too caught up in their conversation to notice their children's presence.

"We'll talk later," Jared whispers to me from behind the subtle scent of mint lingering in the air. I feel him brush passed me on his way to take a seat at the table. He sits opposite his mother, and she starts to pile food on his plate.

Talk about what?

There's only one thing I could think he'd want to talk to me about. It's the same topic we left off at in the car this morning.