Chained for freedom

When chaining yourself is better than being free...

With a hidden smirk she walked through the big crowd with confidence. Nobody would bother to push her aside, spit on her, nor looking at her with disgust. It was because of one specific thing. Her collar.

A collar of steel was locked around her neck. Matching the small heart-shaped lock that held it together.

In this wicked and pathetic world, where werewolves are living with the humans. Where the strongest are ruling and the weakest are suffering the consequences. To be more specific: The weak have the best chance to survive... when they offer themselves as 'pets'.

The young girl loved the effect of having the specific and important item around her neck, showing it to the world without regret. It was a strange sight to see a pet smiling happily.

Most pets, who enjoy their life as it is, are inbred. Their offspring, if mating with their master, can have a few outcomes. Those who have no werewolf-genes, for example, are thrown on the street, but the lucky ones... will become an official child of the Master's family. Those 'official childs' are however not always that lucky as it seemed. Most females will be used for further inbreeding, while the males will be the next heir.

She eventually entered a side-street, leaving the crowd behind as she searched for her friends. They are not just friends. They are her family. They survived all those years on the street... but now there was a new opportunity.

The collar wasn't the thing that she was showing off, even if it was part of the opportunity. It was the small trinket attached on the collar that could help her and her friends.

The lock is like a brand. If the brand is known, then the more status it gives the pet. The owner of the pet is the ones with the keys, being able to remove the collar. However, that is always the person that owns the brand.

She touched the hart-shaped lock, knowing that it was a dangerous act to link the collar around her neck. It was unremovable. The girl greeted some people as they stared at her. Some even stepping away, not wanting to be in trouble.

They weren't scared of her... they were scared because of the lock. They knew the brand. Liberty. A rich and powerful woman that is known for being a proud werewolf. She has a lot of pets. She mostly owns them to breed for the future.

There is a small rumor that she trains her pets until their minds are twisted and obedient. Almost like a true animal... like a real pet.

✖️

"Risa?"

She looked on her left, seeing one of her best friends. Marcus. He first walked to her with a smile, slowly turning into a frown as he noticed the collar.

"Risa... tell me this is a fake."

His hands went to her throat, trying to answer his question. She tried to step away from Marcus, but he cornered her against the wall of a building.

"Tell me... it's fake."

His voice sounded deep and dangerous. His sight were glued on her neck as his hands were firmly placed on her shoulders, pressing her more and more into the bricked surface.

"M-Marcus you are hurting me."

Within a swift second, he had let her go. He stepped back, glancing over his hands and back to Risa's shocked state. He had hurt her. He promised her that he would never hurt her...

"Marcus, I'm fine. I found it, just laying between the trashcans."

She tried to comfort him, knowing what he had been through. Well, they mostly experienced horrible stuff together, but he knew more.