Chapter 12: Friends

Clarke

I was abandoned in the club last night, well not abandoned but everyone seemed to disappear. I didn't see the boys anywhere after a while even though I was distracted with other things. The club really wasn't a place I had been before but for the final night they really turned things up. Individuals came out of the walls just to dance for the pleasure of others and I couldn't resist as I joined in. I spent the vast majority of the night dancing away my worries. All my fears were gone as I danced in this community of players, it was freeing and exhilarating even the more personal dances that the hunky individuals were giving out. It was all amazing.

However I wondered what happened to the others. I just wanted to spend time with them but clearly they all had other plans or they just wanted to sleep. I on the other hand was going all night long. I was an unstoppable dancing force, and eventually just said screw it and finally loaded up my custom character. It got the looks of many as I continued dancing and it almost felt like I was one of the dancers by all the attention I was getting and I wasn't sure how I felt about that. Still nevertheless I enjoyed every second of it.

I would have spent the entire night there if I could but as good as the paradise might have seemed. Hell was always just one stop away. It was near the early morning when the firewall hit. Everything stopped in the club as we all watched it consume the edge of the world. The music kept playing though and the stress free environment was now one of dread. I couldn't move, as I stared at the beast that had confronted me so many times before. There was no way to stop it either, all we could do was run. Except this was the first time that screams and crying didn't fill my ears. Instead I watched as everyone started to dance again as the wall crept closer. The screams were hard to hear as the music boomed around us, but I can assure you that they were there. It was a horrific scene, however it hit the hardest when I watched a cat girl get sucked into the wall as she held onto a man with a suit, the girl he was with though kicked the girls arms breaking her connection with him and her body was sucked into the abyss like someone eating spaghetti.

It was heart breaking to see the coldness in some people. That individual was a living person who now no longer existed. Yet at the same time, there was likely nothing they could do to save her, the wall was like cement and nothing ever broke free from its grasp. My heart sank as I continued to watch people getting consumed. At least they're going out happy. I thought to myself as a warning popped up for everyone as we all stopped once more.

SAFE HAVEN: TOWN CENTRE

Some people ignored the warning and just kept swaying side to side, while an emergency portal opened up at the farthest point away from the wall. I wanted to stay, but that wasn't how I was going out, I was going to end this beside my friends and that was something that I was sure of. I headed for the portal, only to be cut off by the couple that forced the cat girl's demise. The girl pushed me out of the way as the man walked through the rift.

"Sorry Peasant but Daddy always goes first." She snarled at me before giving me a light shove as if it was suppose to show her dominance.

I didn't say anything as I stepped forward and just looked at her with a look of disgust. Only it didn't last long as she followed the man into the portal. I was next. Stepping into the rift, I was instantly teleported to the town centre. There was only a few people there when I arrived. Maybe ten or fifteen, it was still rather empty. Across the courtyard of the town stood the awkward couple. The guy pretty much ignoring her as she curled up beside him. She was loyal to him and at the end of the day I could respect that.

Now looking around it was weird to see everything become so dense, it used to be this expansive world and now it had been reduced to just this. A single area. The firewall now massive in size as it approached the cities centre, then came what we all inevitably knew was coming. A digital mushroom cloud. It erupted from just outside the firewall, as the explosive wave blew past us and then the sound of the explosion echoed as it blew up into little digital fragments. Something told me that, that would be the last magical thing I'd see in this game. The fragments echoed like wind chimes as they slowly started to vanish. However I couldn't take my eyes off the wall.