Letting You Go Was The Hardest Thing - Chapter Ten

Letting You Go Was the Hardest Thing

Copyright © 2012 All rights reserved

Chapter Ten

Charlotte

“Dalton!” I called after him, as I got out of the car. “Dalton, will you wait a dang minute!”

        He wasn't listening to me. He just took quick, angry strides towards his house, his nostrils fuming from anger. I don't know what went down here when I was away, but now, with the stunt these brothers pulled in front of me, I had to know why they were acting like barbarians.

         “Dalton Tyler Parkerson!” I used his used full name, knowing he doesn't like it when I call him that.

         I guess I got a reaction from him in less than four seconds.

         He spun on his feet, strode towards me with eyes raging like wild fire, and growled. “What?!

        Unfazed by his anger, I let my own stood up to his, matching his level. “What's the matter with you?” I asked, my voice coming out like a growl. I pushed his chest as hard as I could, though my strength didn't do a thing to his strong built. “Why did you punch your brother like that?”

        This got him even madder. “You want to know why?” he asked menacingly. I know I should have treaded lightly. Dalton rarely gets mad, and when he does, it's not good, but I didn't care. I was blinded by my rage with the recent situation.

           I nodded. “Yeah, why did you do it? You're brothers for crying out loud!”

         He laughed cynically. “Brothers? Terry and I? “ he asked incredulously. “You have no idea what you are talking about, Charlie. You weren't here for the last four years. You weren't here when he said hurtful things to mom and dad. You weren't here when he gave me a lot of grief. You weren't here when he became a criminal!” At the last part, he said it with so much distaste, I could punch him for it.

        “Don't,” I said though gritted teeth, “say it like you're brother is the most disgusting person in the world.”

        He smirked, crossing his arms over his chest, his muscles bunching up.

        “Because he is.”

        I was appalled beyond belief. How could this person be my best friend, to say something so callously like that to his brother? Just because Terry had done something bad, that didn't mean he wasn't worth saving. Family is family, no matter what happens. If the situation were reversed, I would have done anything for my baby sister, even though she's a selfish brat.

       In fact, I already did.

       By letting Dalton go.

       But that was not the case right now.

       This is not the Dalton that I know.

       All my anger had dissipated, and I felt utmost disappointment with the person in front of me. Time has changed people. I did, and who's to say he didn't as well.

        I sighed. “You know what, never mind I said anything.” With that, I spun on my heel, and headed towards my house.

*  *  *

Dalton