Letting you go was the hardest thing - Prologue

Copyright © 2011 All rights reserved

Prologue

Senior Year (November of 2006)

Someone once told me that life, especially love, was all about taking chances. If you wanted to take the first leap of faith, it's a matter of putting your best foot forward and from there, everything would fall into place.

Sounds simple, right? Easy squeazy lemon peasy.

But... nothing was that simple, especially when I'm about to do something life changing; one that could change the course of my life .

Telling my best friend since I was nine years old that I'm in love with him.

Uhuh. Yeah. Very simple alright.

As I leaned my back against the drivers side of my car, I thought of ways on how I'd break this bottled up romantic feelings I have for my best friend, Dalton, without sounding like a moron. He was running late and it was already past fifteen minutes since the final bell rang so this buys me some time to think - each word formulating in my head had my heart pounding out of my chest, hands all clammy and sweaty and having this sudden urge to bolt like a bat out of hell.

You would think I was going to propose to the dork doing the whole shebang; kneeling on one knee with a ring on my hand?

Ugh.

For eight years, I kept this feelings in the shadows because I was afraid that I may screw what we have up. I didn't want to be selfish, it was not me. I needed to be the bigger person and swallow it like a lump all for the sake of friendship, but there is so much a girl could take - especially if you could no longer take it and the more you fought your inner self that it's not the right thing to do, the more you became helpless, frustrated even and it's not the best feeling the whole world.

I could still remember that fateful day when I first laid my eyes on him. His family just moved into the house next to ours at that time. He was this adorable shy, scrawny kid who's obsessed with gummy bears- and still is-and watches to much Scooby Doo shows, one of the dorky things we have in common.

That memory was clear as crystal. I could never forget it.

It marked the day that I, Charlotte Grace, had fallen in love with the boy next door...

"Charlie!" my mom yelled from downstairs. "Charlie, come down here!"

''What does she want  now?" I thought. I was in the middle of watching Scooby Doo in my room and it was getting into the good part - busting the bad guys.

I picked up my remote which laid beside me on the floor and pressed the mute button. "Why?" I asked, very annoyed for the interruption.

She yelled again, "We're going next door to meet our new neighbors, so come down here right now!"

I huffed. "Do I have to?" I whined. "Why can't it just be you and Caroline? I don't want to be there!"

"You're little sister is coming with us, so get your butt down here Charlotte Eliza Grace, or I'll have you grounded!" she threatened.

What?! She can't ground me! It's crazy to ground someone during summer, but when my mom uses my full name, it means business.

Great...