TAC: 23

“That was probably also the first time that you’ve ever made fun of us.” Adam says, his eyebrow raised.

I ignore him, instead plopping down on the couch, my head in my hands. “What we really need is for you idiots to trust each other. We won’t be making any kind of progress if you guys just -”

“What, so we should do trust games? Like holding out our arms and trusting the other person to catch us if we fall?” Collin cuts in rudely, his eyes narrowed and his lip curled, annoyed.

I shrug, “If that’s what it’s going to take, then yeah. Trust exercises.”

The three guys start protesting, each of their voices rising over the others’, stupid excuses being thrown out right and left.

* * *

“Alright, Collin. Now fall back.” I say, trying to coerce the tall brunette to fall back. I had been trying to persuade him to fall into Andrew’s arms for almost an hour now while Adam was sitting on the couch, rolling his eyes.

“Yeah, Collin fall back.” Andrew sneered.

I narrowed my eyes and shot Andrew a glare, and he smiled sheepishly at me. “Collin, fall back now.” I say, abandoning my sweet act and instead pinning him with a glare. All of a sudden, Collin lets himself fall back and I shut my eyes, knowing full well that there was no way that Andrew could catch him in time and that trying to get the boys to trust each other was probably a failure.

“Why are your eyes closed?” I hear Collin’s questioning voice, sounding a little winded and my eyes snap open.

“Holy shit. Holy shit.” I whisper when I realize that Andrew had caught Collin - no, he had done better than simply catch Collin. It looked like when he realized that he wouldn’t be able to catch him using his arms, he simply slid under Collin, using his body as a cushion for Collin’s fall. “Holy shit!” I scream, a smile spreading on my face. I clap excitedly.

“How does this even count as a success?” Collin says, an eyebrow raised.

I narrow my eyes at him. “Don’t you dare try to undermine this, Collin. He caught you. Maybe not the conventional kind of catch, but he cushioned your fall. Now get off of him - it’s Adam’s turn.”  

Adam glares at me through narrowed eyes but nonetheless goes to stand in front of Collin, arms crossed, frowning. “He’s going to drop me - just for fun. I can tell.”

“No, he won’t. Right, Collin?” I assure him, turning to Collin, daring him to even try to drop Adam.

Collin shrugs. “We’re never gonna know what’s going to happen if Adam doesn’t stop being so lame and just -” Collin’s arms shoot out to catch underneath Adam’s armpits and a grin spreads over my face.

“Cute. Can we move on now?” Andrew says, clearly bored.

I turned to him, trying to ignore the butterflies that erupted when my eyes landed on his face. Instead, my eyes narrow and my lips press into a thin line. “This shit isn’t meant to be cute. I’m just trying to help you three idiots realize that you need to learn to trust each other if worse comes to worse. I know that it’s hard trusting someone that’s wreaked so much havoc -”

“Maloney.” Adam coughs out. I shoot him a glare.

“and that goes both ways. Adam, you’ve fucked with Collin’s life just as much as he has with yours. You guys have truly levelled out the playing field with you idiotic -” I take a breath. “As I was saying…you guys need each other...No, I need you guys to get over whatever it is you’re holding onto and just trust each other. For me. Because my life is the one that’s hanging in the balance.” I remind them, my voice softening as Andrew’s face hardens. I almost want to stop my speech just so I can walk over and comfort him but instead, I opt to tear my eyes away from his and instead scan the other two guys. Their faces had also gotten angry. My voice falls even softer and a sigh escapes me. “I know the three of you guys have the same goals - you guys want to help me but you know that I would never forgive myself if any of you got hurt. Please, just humor me and go along with this.”