chapter 3 - Lara

3-Lara

1st August 2015

         It was afternoon when she arrived. I knew that I shouldn't've but I had already formed an opinion on her. I didn't know what she was but from seeing all the weapons and knives, I had reasons to belive that she was either a serial killer, a trained killer or perhaps just a very troubled child.

          Everyone else crowded at the front door as she arrived while I stood at the top of the stairs wanting so see her before she saw me and I certainly didn’t want her to get the impression that I liked her because I most certainly didn’t. I was expecting the girl to look aggressive and mean and a little deformed in the face but what came next was completly unexpected.

          The girl had long dark brown curly hair which hung down past her shoulders and even from a far distance, I could see how green her eyes were. Unlike me - with freckles everywhere - her face was flawless with not a single spot in sight. I figured that she was mixed race but what stunned me was how tall and elegent she seemed. Not the murdering kind at all.

        She seemed to notice everyone surrounding her for a while before she looked around and saw me standing at the top of the stairs. As she looked at me, she jerked her head to the side and narrowed her eyes as if she was trying to see through me. I couldn't tell whether she was glaring at me or trying get a good look at my face but I glared back just incase. We stood there for a couple of seconds eying each other when she finally broke the silence.

          “Yes?” she asked rudely which ened any possiblities that she wasn't glaring at me. Before I got a chance to answer, Jillian spoke knowing that she’d just stopped an argument from breaking out.

          “Lara, this is Lauren, Lauren this is Lara. I hope you two will get along as you’ll be sharing a room together as you already know, Lara” she said and she looked up at me as she said my name. Everybody else had gone back to what they were doing and it was just Jillian, Lauren and I who were still in the hallway.

          “Lara, could you show Lauren her room please” Jillian said before she walked off back to the living room where an argument had broke out between someone.

        “Follow me” I said, turning around and walking to my bedroom not caring whether she followed me or not, but she did. As I opened the bedroom door I was worried that perhaps she’d be able to tell that I had been through her things but thankfully she didn’t.

          “Put my stuff over there, I need to bring my other things up.” She said, indicating the boxes on the floor and I turned around in confusion and stared at her for a second, not sure whether she was serious or not.

          “You can pick up your own shit, excuse me. I’m not your slave,” I said. She stood there for a couple of second staring at me before bending down to pick up her boxes to then move them to the other side of the room.

          “I’m guessing you want me to carry my own stuff upstairs too” she said, not giving me a chance to reply before going downstairs. I stood in the hallway and looked after her as she carried her other boxes upstairs and placed them with the rest.

          “What are in those boxes of yours?” I asked, trying to sound as normal as possible.

          “Why don’t you take a look for yourself” she said, stepping towards one of the boxes before pushing one my way. She probably thought that I hadn't noticed but I knew she had purpously pushed one of the new boxes she had bought towards me - which most likely didn't contain the weapons - so I stepped back to get the box which I had previously opened which I was certain had the weapons.