Chapter 1 - Lara

1- Lara

1st August

        “Who the hell has been in my room?” I shouted as I saw boxes stacked up all over my room floor that didn't belong to me.

          “There’s a new girl moving in” Said Annabel, popping her head through my room door.

          “Moving in? What do you mean by moving in?” I asked, hoping that, what I thought was coming next, wouldn’t come next.

          “Well, there’s a girl, and she's new, and she'll be moving in, if that’s clear enough for you” She said rolling her eyes.

          “Moving in where exactly?” I asked.

          “She’s moving into the dog’s kennel outside! Where do you think?” She asked sarcastically.

          “We don’t have a dog kennel outside” I said, being clever.

          “Grow up Lara! Seriously, do you want me to spell it out to you! A new girl is coming to live in care with us and she’s sharing a room with you. Those boxes are hers and they’re delivering the rest later for when she comes.” She said.

          “No one’s sharing my room” I warned.

          “Why are you telling me for? Tell that to Jillian” Annabel said walking off.

        I went back into my room and picked up one of the boxes. It was quite heavy but I was strong enough to pick it up. I then sat down on my bed and tore off the sellotape to open up the box before peering inside. I couldn’t fully see inside the box as my shadow illuminated the light, so I stuck my hand into the box and took out the object inside.

        I stared at what I had in my hand: a gun. I stood up not quite believing what was in front of me. It wasn’t a huge gun but it still terrified me. My mouth fell open in horror and as I put my hand back into the box, I realised there was something else in there. I tipped the box upside down, spilling out the rest of the guns and then last of all toppled out a large black piece of cloth that was folded around its self. I picked it up and unfolded it to find several knives safely secured inside. I wasn’t sure whether the cloth was there to protect the knives or whether it was there to hide them. However, if it was the latter, they obviously didn’t do a good job at it.

          I stood up too scared to go anywhere near the weapons that were now piled on my bedroom floor. Just as I put the knives down next to the guns, my room door was knocked and took me by surprise. I looked from the door to the weapons and panicked.

          “Wait, don’t come in yet!” I said running over to the door and holding it shut.

         “What are you doing in there?” Annabel’s voice asked.

         “What do you want?” I asked, ignoring her question.       

        “You haven’t answered my question yet, what are you doing in there?” she asked, pushing open the door. I slammed it shut before she had a chance to look in and then held the handle so she wouldn’t be able to turn it.

          “What are you doing in there, tell me now or I’m calling Jillian” she threatened.

          “Yeah go snitch on me like the little bitch you are” I said through gritted teeth.

      “Jillian!” Annabel shouted, I heard her footsteps running down the stairs which gave me the chance to quickly put the weapons back into the box. Just over a minute later and I heard footsteps approaching my room door again.