sneak peak!

It may be a couple of weeks before I publish the first real chapter of Vestige, but I hope this little sneak peak of one of the chapters will keep your interest until then <3

"Raise your elbow a little," Elise instructed, a small trace of a smile tilting crookedly over her lips as she reached forward. Her fingers grazed against Derek's arm as she shifted his posture. The foam mat beneath them silenced her footsteps as she took a step back. "That's better."

"Elise, I think I know how to throw a punch," Derek sighed softly.

"Not a human punch," Elise corrected. "I've seen your form, Derek. It works fine if you have rapid healing and abnormal strength, but you try to hit like that when you don't have those things and you'll tear a muscle."

That seemed to silence him, prompting a victorious smirk to flit across Elise's features before she raised her own arms.

"I don't want to hurt you," Derek frowned, though he didn't lower his arms.

"Don't worry," Elise grinned. "You won't get the chance."

He nodded slightly, searching his mind for the offensive and defensive moved the brunette had shown him over the past few days. After a second of consideration, Derek struck out with his fist.

Elise easily countered, bringing up her own hand and grasping his wrist. She shifted her weight from one foot to the other as the lifted her left ankle and drove it into the back of Derek's knee, sending him toppling to the ground. Elise hovered gracefully above him as he panted slightly.

"Boom, you're dead!" Elise chuckled. Her legs rested on either side of her torse as she took a deep breath. A smile broke out across her face as she added, "Did I mention that I've been learning Jiu Jitsu?"

"That's not fair!"

Elise's playful tone didn't fade as she spoke, but her smile faded slightly as she leaned in. "In this world, you've got to play a little dirty to make it out on top." The two were so close the stray hairs that had come untangled from Elise's braid tickled the man's cheeks.

"Is that so?" Derek hummed, his eyes flicking toward Elise's lips. The woman nodded slightly, finding herself leaning in closer to him. Derek mirrored her actions, lifting his head to brush his lips against hers. Elise was too distracted to notice Derek's fingers graze her wrists until he shifted his weight, sending her onto the mat. Before Elise had time to process what he'd done, he'd moved, now hovering over her, his hands pinning her wrists above her head. "Because I can play dirty."

Ha! Guess you'll need to read the next part of Elise's story to find out what happens next!