18 ; werecoyote

18 WERECOYOTE

"You know, if Noah is right, that means that there's another werewolf in town," Elise frowned as the trio made their way through the woods. Scott was in the lead, following the directions on his phone to lead them to the site of the crash. It turned out that the sibling's father was part of an inquiry into whether Stiles' father was fit to run the police department in Beacon Hills. That had given the pair a burst of inspiration to help solve the case. Not that they hadn't wanted to help before, but Scott and Elise would jump at any chance to go against Rafael.

"I swear, if it turns out to be triplets that combine to form some sort of three-headed hound of hell, I'm out," Stiles said.

Elise nodded in agreement. She wondered if something like that even existed. It had been hard enough to deal with the Alpha twins, she seriously doubted that they would be able to handle triplets. She quickly pushed the idea out of her mind, shuddering at the thought.

"Me neither," Scott agreed. Elise pulled her jacket closer around herself as the group neared a small drop off. She placed a hand against a nearby boulder to steady herself as she jumped onto the lower level of ground. Scott was about to do the same but froze as a howl echoed through the air.

Stiles jumped, clutching Scott's arm in fear. The sudden movement jostled Scott's arm and his phone fell from his hand. Elise stumbled backward, her feet splashing into a muddy puddle on the ground as she caught the phone just before it landed on the hard ground.

"Sorry, dude," Stiles apologized, his cheeks burning with embarrassment as the McCalls shot him annoyed looks. "I hate coyotes. It always sounds like they're getting ready to kill some small, helpless animal."

Elise looked down at her now-filthy boots, grimacing. "I just bought these," she frowned. Scott flashed her an appreciative look before hopping over the drop off to join her. Stiles tried to do the same, but he landed much less gracefully than either of the two before him.

Scott smiled at his friend's clumsy nature before glancing down at his phone. "This way," he said, pointing ahead of the group as he took the lead once again. Within seconds, they'd reached the wreckage of the car. It had rusted from years of neglect, and plants were already beginning to grow around it.

"You'd think that they would clean everything up," Elise frowned. "Like, tow the car or something."

"Probably too much of a pain in the ass to move out of this ditch," Stiles guessed, tugging the flashlight from Scott's hand and crouching next to the car. "You guys, look at this," he breathed, drawing the other two's attention. Along the side of the car doors were large, jagged claw marks. "Those are too big to be an animal, right?" Stiles asked as Scott crouched next to him.

Elise listened to her brother confirm Stiles' theory as she knelt next to the teens. Her eyes traveled past the claw marks though. Her vision focused on something inside the upturned car, tucked into the seats. "What's that?" she wondered aloud as she squeezed past the boys, crawling inside of the car.

Stiles whispered a warning to her, telling her that the car was 'a breeding ground for tetanus', but she ignored the boy, reaching her hand up and tugging the item from the seats. She shuffled back out of the rusted wreckage, displaying her discovery.

"It's a doll," Scott commented. Elise nodded, turning the toy over in her hand. One of the doll's arms was pulled from the body, hanging on by a flimsy piece of aged glue. A faint feeling of fear and confusion settled in the back of Elise's mind as she surveyed the toy. It made her feel almost helpless, like she was stuck without any way to break free.

"I'm hungry!" The baby doll's electronic voice echoed through the night air. All three members of the group jumped back in fright, Elise hurling the creepy doll back into the car as she stumbled into Stiles.