Chapter 21

Danny's car rolls to a stop outside of Johnny's house. Even from here the beat of the music and the occasional screaming voice reaches us.

"Thanks for the lift," I say reaching for the door handle and Danny grins.

"No problem, I've been moonlighting as a cab driver all day." I frown not knowing what he means and his smile fades slightly. "I drove your sister and Rizz to the Ice Palace earlier."

"Oh, okay." I don't know why but I feel like he's lying, he hung out at our house all afternoon and Rizzo was asleep in Eve's bed. "So you and Eve are friends?"

Danny smiles again. "Sure, she's cool."

"Kenickie won't like that." The words are out of my mouth before I realise I've said them.

"I can handle Kenickie," Danny says winking. "Do you want me to walk you to the door?"

"Oh no, it's fine," I say quickly not wanting to look like I'm being chaperoned, although Danny Zuko as a chaperone might not be such a bad thing. I see Paulette walking towards the door so I jump out of the car and call her.

"Hey," she almost shrieks. "You got a ride from Danny Zuko." I shrug and then wave to Danny like it's no big deal and Paulette links her arm through mine. "Just wait till Steph hears, she'll be green!"

"Don't be silly, she's got Johnny," I say and Paulette rolls her eyes while I knock on the door.

"Steph's using Johnny, she's only with him cos he's gonna be leader of the t birds," she whispers. "It's just a matter of time before he comes to his senses." I nod but I'm not so sure, Steph seemed pretty possessive of Johnny that day at the beach, she was very much marking her territory.

The door swings open and Steph's stood there with a stern look on her face making me glad I didn't get caught gossiping with Paulette.

"Come on in," Steph says standing to one side and Paulette pushes past her making a beeline for the t birds.

"You look nice," I say to Stephanie wishing I didn't sound so stilted. Her hair's flowing past her shoulders, and she's wearing tight jeans with a blouse knotted around her waist, the top two buttons undone.

"In this old thing?" she laughs. "If you say so." I smile not sure if she's mocking me or not. Fortunately, Rhonda comes bounding over.

"Sylvie! What's this about Danny Zuko giving you a ride here?" I guess Paulette told her.

"He was hanging out with my sister so he offered to drop me off," I say trying not to blush when there's suddenly a lot of eyes on me.

"You should have invited him in," Steph says sourly. "He might have livened things up."

"You need to get a drink inside of you," Rhonda says waving a glass under Steph's nose. "So is your sister dating him Sylvie?"

"I don't think so, I think he has a girlfriend."

"Of course he does," Steph snaps. "The best ones are always taken." She pulls a face but leaves us to go talk to someone else.

"Don't mind her, she's in a moody again," Rhonda giggles and I wonder how much she's drunk already. "Let's get a top up."

I follow her to the kitchen pushing my way through a throng of bodies. I spot Johnny talking to Paulette, she's leaning in close as if she can't hear him over the music and his mouth is barely an inch from her ear. Davey's in the middle of the floor doing some weird sort of dance, a small crowd watching and laughing.

God, if I have to get a t bird boyfriend and he's the only option I might as well give up already. I shake my head reminding myself that Paulette doesn't have a t bird boyfriend and she's still a pink lady.