Chapter 10

I was sitting with my chin in my hand watching the end of the dance off. Danny and Cha Cha were declared the winners, and Sandy was nowhere to be seen. I'm gobsmacked she gave way to Cha Cha like that, talk about making it easy for her.

"I can't believe Danny let that happen," Frenchy says frowning in his direction.

"I can't believe what a drip Sandy is," Jan says, and I silently agree. Frenchy purses her lips.

"Sandy's shy, and what was Sonny playing at? It's all his fault." She looks at Doody, her eyebrows raised, and he shrugs.

"I think he might have been drinking," Putzie says with a slight stammer. "He was cut up about Marty getting with Vince Fontaine." We roll our eyes in unison, he needs to get over himself.

"He's not the only one who was cut up. What happened with Rizz and Balmudo?" Jan asks looking at me.

"I'm not sure. She wanted to shoot off, I think it was all getting a bit too tense with him and Kenickie were carrying on like dogs fighting over a bone." Rizzo had actually left because she wasn't going to let Balmudo use her to make his ex jealous, especially when it had backfired on Balmudo badly. I knew she was feeling humiliated but I wasn't going to tell the guys that.

"So where's your date?" Frenchy asks me and I force myself to smile.

"He left with Balmudo but I wanted to hang out a bit longer." The whole night has been a bit of a flop for me. I see Jan and Frenchy exchanging sly looks so I get up to get another drink.

"Hey Evie." I freeze before letting out a sigh. Kenickie is about the last person I want to talk to right now. "Where've your friends gone?" I look at him closely. His clothes are dishevelled and his hair's a mess.

"Where's your date?"

"Touche," he says raising his hand to his forehead in a mock salute.

"You've been drinking Ken." It's a statement, not a question, he's obviously loaded. He shrugs his shoulders, and puts his arm around me.

"Don't be like that Evie, I've had a rough night."

"God you stink," I say pushing him away from me, and he looks almost apologetic. "What the hell are you doing getting into this state."

"Well what do you expect, my girl with crater face-"

"And his girl with you," I snap not ready to listen to his self pitying bullshit.

"Aw don't be like that." He tries to put his arm around me again but he's intercepted by Danny.

"Hey Kenick, what's eating you?" Kenickie grins.

"Zuko...buddy." Kenickie goes to hug him, and Danny looks at me clearly bemused.

"He's wasted," I say stating the obvious.

"Yeah it's been some night," Danny says looking skyward.

"Aren't you king of the dance off or something?" I ask raising my eyebrow at him, and the corners of Danny's mouth turn down.

"Or something," he mutters darkly. "You saw Sandy leave-"

"Hey don't worry about it Zuko," Kenickie slurs and Danny pushes him back while I can't help but laugh.

"I'll get him home," Danny says. Kenickie can barely stand, and with his glazed expression I'm surprised none of the teachers have noticed how drunk he is. Or maybe they're ignoring him to save themselves the trouble. "Do you need a ride Evelyn?" I contemplate him for a moment, I actually do need a lift home since Vinny bailed but I'd planned to tag along with Sylvie.