Chapter 19

I make my way with Rizzo to a booth at the back of the Ice Palace where Frenchy is waiting for us. As usual, there are a few pointed looks in Rizzo's direction and barely whispered insults. I'm sort of surprised people aren't bored by now. I spot Jan sat with Putzie and I wave over to them, Jan waves back almost hesitantly. Still, it's better than the cold treatment Marty is dishing out, I don't know if she's feeling guilty for blabbing or if she genuinely disapproves.

"Hey French, what's with the outfit?" Rizzo asks as she slides into the booth. "You messed your hair up again?" Frenchy's wearing a headscarf and glasses. She smiles nervously at us.

"I'm supposed to be incognito," she whispers. "I thought you wouldn't want word of this getting out." Rizzo waves a hand.

"You can shout it from the rooftops, everyone knows thanks to Marty." Her mouth turns down and Frenchy tilts her head, her face sympathetic. "So did you get what I want?"

"Yeah," Frenchy says reaching into her purse. "It wasn't easy cos Alice, that's the girl who had the you know what, she didn't want to admit it at first. But then I told her about your dilemma and she gave me this number." She passes a piece of paper across the table and Rizzo grabs it, she briefly glances at the name and number on it before shoving it in her handbag.

"Thanks," she says and Frenchy bites her lip looking nervous.

"That's okay. But Rizz are you sure you know what you're doing? Have you considered your options?"

"I have no options," Rizzo says flatly. "It's this or...."

"So what's Rizz supposed to do now she's got this number?" I ask not wanting to rake over old ground again. "Does she just phone them and they call her in or something?" It sounds like Rizz is taking a hell of a risk here.

Frenchy nods her head. "Yeah you call and they arrange a time for you to go down, the only thing is it's on the other side of town so it's a bit of a trek to get to."

"And they do it, just like that?" Rizzo asks.

"I guess, so long as you have the money I think it's pretty straightforward."

"Well there goes my college fund," Rizzo laughs sarcastically and it's the first time I've realised she'll have to pay.

"Are you okay for money?"

"Yeah, that's the least of my problems," she says running her hand through her short hair. "I just want this over with." She grips her purse tightly. "Thanks for this Frenchy, I'll make the call tonight."

"Good luck," Frenchy says getting to her feet. "Urg you guys don't mind if I go join Jan and Marty do you? I don't wanna look like I'm ignoring them." My mouth drops open but Rizzo simple shrugs.

"Go ahead, and say hi to Marty for me." Frenchy bites her lip but she scurries out of the booth anyway.

"I can't believe she did that." I'm incredulous.

"It's okay Eve," Rizzo says gripping her handbag. "I've got what I came for."

                                                               💗

Slyvia comes into my bedroom as I'm getting ready for another driving lesson from Danny. God knows how I'll be able to concentrate with everything on my mind though. I had thought of cancelling but it didn't seem right to when he's the one doing me the favour.

"Why is high school so hard?" Sylvie asks with a dramatic sigh as she sits down on my bed. "It wasn't like this in England."

"Sure it was, it just gets harder as you get older and life gets more complicated." And there's the understatement of the century.