Chapter 12: Engraved in Your Mind

Whispers in the Dark

Chapter 12: Engraved in Your Mind

"You don't think your pills are working?" She asks, repeating what I just said to her. She flicks her gaze away from the frying egg on the stove to me, her warm teal gaze locking onto mine. I silently nod at her as she drops her gaze to the ground. In a low, dull voice, she asks, "...Have they worked before?"

"Of course, but for some reason now he still won't go away," I say to her, staring at the back of her head. Both of my parents know about him, about Len. How could they not? He is one of the only hallucinations, besides Gumi, that has been with me almost my whole entire life. Being a child, I couldn't really hide another person talking to me when I saw one, hallucination or not. I talked to everyone when I was little, and I didn't care that sometimes people would stare at me funny for talking to someone who wasn't there.

She remains quiet for a few moments, bringing her focus back to the frying egg as she flips it over, it hissing back at her. I patiently wait for her to respond, to say "okay honey, I'll have it looked at later today" like she usually does when I tell her about my medicine. Instead, her voice remains almost monotone as she mumbles, "Don't you think that maybe it's not the pills that could help you? If they aren't working..."

My eyes widen as I take a step back from her. "W-What do you mean, Mom?" She sighs and turns away from her egg, locking her eyes with mine. Heavy bags are painted under her eyes, so dark I can't believe I didn't notice them before. I want to ask her if she's alright, that if she's tired she can take a nap because she looks like she hasn't slept in days. But instead, I keep my mouth shut and glare at her.

"You know what I mean -"

"I want to hear you say it," I spit at her, my voice shaking. Even though I feel like crumbling onto the floor, I force my legs to hold my weight as I wait for her to reply. "Mom, please. Say it."

She forces a faint smile to stretch onto her lips as her eyes become glassy, almost breaking me apart inside. But the other part of me, the part that is taking over, isn't worried about her. Instead, I want to scream and yell all of my anger at her for thinking this way about her own daughter.

"I just think it's best that you get the proper help you need, Miku," she says, trying to keep her voice calm. I can feel my hands ball up into fists at my side while staring at her. I'm afraid that if I talk, I'll either end up sobbing or chewing her out, so I keep my mouth closed. She sets down the plastic spatula she has in her hand and takes a few steps toward me, but I just take them back as I stumble backwards away from her. Her eyes widen as she notices I don't want her anywhere near me.

"Miku, you know it's for the best -" she starts, but I shake my head and hoarsely yell, "How the hell are you suddenly convinced that I'm crazy?! For the whole sixteen years of my life, I've only cracked once! Kaito said -"

"I know what Mr. Shion said!" She screams back, her calm expression replaced with impatience as the tears roll down her cheeks. "But what if this isn't the only time you'll do something like that? For God's sake, you choked your classmate, Miku! If you ask me, the pills aren't helping you if you did something like that!"

My eyes become blurry, but I just ignore the water in my eyes as I yell back, "That's why I'm telling you I need a checkup! I rather pick the option of seeing a doctor than to be sent away - by my own mother! What has gotten into you? Do you not trust me anymore?" She shakes her head and takes another step towards me, reaching her hand out to gently place it on my shoulder, but I step away from her and stare at the kitchen floor.

"Nevermind, since you won't give me the chance, I'll go to the doctor myself. Your precious egg is burning, Mom," I say to her, my voice low. Before I can look back up at her so she can respond, I turn on my heel and walk out the front door.