Chapter 19: What Once Was

Whispers in the Dark

Chapter 19: What Once Was

"Yellow... eyes?" I slowly repeat, hearing the words flow and roll over my tongue instead - a lost rhythm, a melody. I stare blankly at him, lost for a few moments in his words. Yellow eyes... Yes, it is rather unusual to have such a unique eye pigment; they would be hard to miss, without a doubt. I, myself, have teal hair which isn't normal either, or at least it's more under the rare category. Yellow, honey-painted eyes, however, I've never even heard of before. It was as if Len was asking about a snake or some perilous animal rather than a person.

Then it clicks. "Yes, when I was with Yuma. We were walking down the hallway and I had seen a boy with black hair and yellow eyes - but Yuma couldn't see him. I thought he was just another hallucination so I didn't really think much of it. He's immune to the pills, though..." I drift off, my gaze lowering down to the floor, away from Len's hollow stare. The raven-haired boy was the black figure I kept seeing in the reflection of Len's eyes and again in the café. It wasn't until the third time that I caught it when I actually, well, /caught/ it. I've never had seen him until recently, but new figments pop up all the time. It's no surprise if another hallucination passes by in my life. Why would this one be any different?

Len doesn't say anything. In fact, I thought I saw him stiffening once I confirmed his question, but I could be mistaken. It's much too dark in this room to be able to tell, even his expression is masked by the blackness of the room. I wait for him to reply, to tell me anything about what's on his mind... but he doesn't.

Out of everything that has happened, out of everything that he has done to me just today - something snaps within me as soon as he keeps quiet. He refuses to tell me how we are linked to begin with, what happened in his past that has corrupted us together in the first place - and now he's keeping another secret from me. Even when he kissed me tonight and then suddenly sparked into anger, I bit my lip. I didn't overreact, but it's when he's quiet that suddenly ticks me off.

I open my mouth, my voice beginning to crawl slowly from the nape of my throat, but I immediately close it and snap my gaze away from Len. I know he noticed me, but he doesn't comment. No, I won't let him bring out the worst in me, his personality should be well-engraved into my mind by now. I shouldn't be surprised. I let his kisses confuse me when I know they're fake. I am getting angry over absolutely nothing. I know damn well that he doesn't have any feelings for me, that even though we might be kissing, he's still Len. He's still the boy from when I was a child, and he's still the boy I cried over when he terrified me. He's never changed. Him yelling at me for even daring to take a step ahead of him, I should've done nothing but expected that. It's pointless, getting frustrated over this. I should've never kissed him. I should've never thought of changing him.

If I'm not able to change him, then I can at least make him see me as a person that's worth something.

I push myself off the bed, the mattress creaking loudly once I leave its desperate touch, staring straight at the blonde boy in my room. "Tell me," I say, the harshness in my voice surprising me as soon as it reaches my own ears. Quickly I try to take it back, at least a little, by continuing, "Tell me how you know about him when you can't even see any other of my hallucinations."

Len stares at me, his eyes so deeply hollow it almost hurts to bring my gaze to meet his. I've always noticed how beautiful his eyes are, ever since his hood had accidentally fell back that day. He may be dark - a painful blackness constantly devouring him, its hunger for the boy only ever growing - but his eyes have always been the one light, gentle feature about him. I never thought I would get the chance to see what he looked like under the black hood he always had covering the majority of his face, and honestly I never thought I would want to. He's put me through hell over and over and over before... why would I want to see the face of the devil within? But he willingly showed me his identity, something I don't think I'll ever forget. It was as if I had seen the gods themselves - the chance of me ever seeing what Len Kagamine looked like, well, felt beyond impossible.