Chapter 6: A Connection

Whispers in the Dark

Chapter 6: A Connection

I shift uncomfortably in my computer chair as I glance to the other side of my room. Mr. Shion flicks several pieces of hair away from his icy blue eyes as he crosses his arms over his broad chest. He catches me looking at him and holds our gaze for several moments before I finally turn away.

He sighs and leans against the back of my bedroom door facing me. Long past the hours of last night, I could hear Mr. Shion on his phone being chewed out by another detective for loosing sight of me yesterday. Mr. Shion defended himself with several "I'm sorry"s and "I promise to not do it again"s.

I tap my wooden computer desk with my fingernails impatiently. It's good to know that whatever I went through last night wasn't real otherwise I wouldn't have any fingernails to tap with in the first place for clawing at that hand.

A shiver runs down my spine just thinking about it. I immediately dismiss the memory and open up the internet browser on my laptop. Glancing once more at the man in my room, I finally choke, "I know that I got you in trouble yesterday, but do you really have to watch me like I'm a child? My room is sort of my personal space."

He slightly smirks before gazing out of my window. "Last time I checked, you were sobbing in the middle of the woods when you wandered off alone."

"I wasn't sobbing."

"Yes you were."

"No, I wasn't. Why do you have to follow me everywhere anyway?" I spin my chair around so I can face him better.

He smirks. "Well, my original job was just to watch you when you left your house, but you went ahead and disappeared from my sight. Now I have to keep my eyes on your inside and outside your house."

"Stalker."

He lightly shrugs. "More or less. But in case you forgot, you are still a suspect of being the killer of Yuki Kaai."

I roughly sigh and turn back around. The next few minutes pass by in stretched silence between us, but I can feel his firm gaze locked onto the back of my neck. The hairs on my arms stand up just knowing I'm being watched. Without turning around to face him, I finally break the tension. "Can I get some privacy, please?"

I can hear his footsteps walk up behind me as he leans forward with his hands casually in his pockets. He meets head level with me and fixes his gaze onto my empty computer screen.

"Why? You want to talk to your boyfriend in private?" He teases and stands back up straight.

My cheeks flush as I shake my head. "N-No! I don't even have a boyfriend. I just need to look up some... girl stuff," I lie.

It takes a few moments, but he eventually falls for my lie, nods, and leaves the room leaving the door cracked behind him. I don't hear his footsteps walk away, so he must be listening.

Grateful for some space, I immediately click into Google. Staring blankly at the screen, it takes a moment before I type "Kagamine" into the search box.

It's a last name, I realized, and it has something to do with him. And he, for some reason, called me Kagamine - but whose last name would that belong to?

I click the search button.

It takes about twenty sites, several impatient clicks of the back-page button, and a almost-gave-up sigh before I finally found it. I finally found the family name Kagamine located near my town.