Chapter 2: Capture

Whispers in the Dark

Chapter 2: Capture

It feels as if my heart has suddenly decided to stop beating. It's as if I have just been stabbed and bled to death because nothing in my body wants to move no matter what I command it to. It's as if I'm drowning and everything is slipping from my grasp. Of course, everything besides him.

My eyes rip wide open and my breath chokes in my dry throat as soon as he takes a small step towards me... and then another... and another. I beg my legs to let me run away - to help me escape from his blind gaze locked on me. But no matter how much I beg, they refuse to move the slightest.

I can feel myself tremble more and more the closer he gets to me. This feeling is painful - worse than physical torture. The thought alone of not knowing what he's thinking is terrifying.

Feeling my whole body twitch and struggle to even remain standing up, I just can't seem to convince myself to run away from him. It's as if my feet are bolted to the carpet below me. It's not long until I can feel his cold, bittering breath whisper along the back of my neck. Unable to close my eyes, I have no choice to suffer a glimpse of him in the least. I didn't even have enough energy to turn all the way around to face him as soon as I seen his smile, only enough to turn my head slightly. The rest of my strength leaked right out of me.

He raises his gloved hand, slowly but cautiously before letting it hover over my shoulder. Before I'm sure he's about to grab me and make me surrender to him, he lowers his arm back down to his side changing his mind. Instead, he leans close to my ear and whispers, "I won't let you leave me, not this time. I will make you see me, and I will never leave your side."

His breath of a whisper slithers around my clouded mind like a snake ready to snap its sharp little fangs into me. Finally able to close my eyes, they immediately shut tight hoping that when they open again, he will be no where in sight. But deep inside, I know that he will never disappear no matter how many pills it takes.

"Leave me alone," I struggle to say. It's as if I'm fighting against myself - every part of my tensed body feels like it's tied down with weights and is a pain to lift. "Please, go away."

His bitter lips remain only a hair away from my numbed ear refusing to get any closer and refusing to move away, so when I can hear him faintly smirk, my whole body stiffens. "Why would I want to do that? You're so amusing." He chuckles.

"I said go away!" I snap and jolt my shoulder against his body making him take a step back away from me. Whipping around to face him, I clench my fists and lock my gaze with him. His smile immediately erases from his pale face as he takes back his step and leans in close to my face. Gripping my chin between his slim fingers, he forces my gaze to fall upon him and him only.

I inhale a breath of his cooling scent as any hint of bravery I had moments ago slips right from under my feet. My body returns back to its shocked state and I am forced to stay in place once again.

He has never physically touched me before - for all my life, he has only watched me and slither some venomous lies into my ear. The closest he has ever gotten to me was barely caressing my cheek as a child. Barely.

"Don't you ever think that you're the one in charge here, Miku. You have no idea how much it pisses me off when you think you have taken a step ahead of me."

"Go to Hell."

Suddenly, his grip on my chin loosens - but only for a brief moment before my head suddenly snaps to the right and my whole body begins to follow. A loud smacking sound echos and bounces around the walls as I stumble over my feet and loose my balance. Before I can mindlessly slam onto the pale carpet, long arms wrap tightly around me and prevent me from greeting the floor.