Don't You Mind?

Hello there everyone! Long time no see! So this has been sitting in my drafts for ages and I just was never motivated enough to finish it. I still don't know how I feel about this exactly but I hope you guys like it. The song is Me by The 1975. I'm also feeling inspired so the next update will most likely be a prequel to this chapter. Let me know what you guys think of this! :)

***
He'd known where the conversation was going to lead before it even started. He knew it would escalate into a shouting match, his heart racing and thoughts rushing, ultimately leading to him out the front door with the door slamming behind him.

It had only been a brief thirty minutes since he'd rushed away but Vanitas' heart was still racing. He clenched his fists, feelings of anger bubbling up inside him. Taking in a deep breath he relaxed his hands and closed his eyes, focusing on the waves crashing and the feel of the sand between his toes. The cool breeze tousled his hair as he slowly began to clear his mind, letting each worry flow away with each exhale.

Slowly his thoughts drifted from what had transpired to a positive direction. Eventually his mind stilled as he thought of you. He could feel the pit in his stomach and the knot in his throat as feelings of guilt spread through him. In the moment all he'd focused on was removing himself from the situation, he didn't even think about you as he all but abandoned you at his parents' house.

He brought his attention back to his breath before his thoughts spiraled further. His mind was as still as he could get it to be in these circumstances. Opening his eyes Vanitas took in the beauty of the sky as the sun continued its descent. Destiny Islands never ceased to amaze him with every sunset taking his breath away. There was a time when he was younger, filled with anger and resentment, that he wanted to desperately get away from the beautiful palm trees and soothing waves. And he had gotten away to Hollow Bastion, but what met him there did nothing to lessen the feelings he was trying to escape. He almost hadn't been able to make his way back to the islands...

"That's in the past..." he whispered to himself as he let out an exhale. He sat down on the sand not caring about his expensive dress pants which he'd only bought but a week ago.

"Vanitas?" He was startled by your voice, not expecting you to have came after him so soon.

"I'm sorry, I just had to get myself out of there..." He looked up at you, the guilt evident in his golden eyes.

"You don't have to apologize, I know you were really trying," you set your heels down next to you and smoothed down the back of your dress as you sat down next to Vanitas, "Things just didn't go as planned."

"You don't have to sit here with me (Y/N)," he glanced at you, "Besides you're going to ruin your dress."

"I don't care about  my dress," you replied, shifting your weight to lean against his shoulder, "I care about you."

Vanitas sighed, squeezing his eyes shut as old thoughts washed over him.

"Maybe you shouldn't..."

"But I do," you replied, taking his right hand and clasping it between both of yours. You looked towards him but he continued to gaze out ahead at the ocean.

"You'd be better off with someone else..."

You looked out towards the ocean as well. This was a conversation the both of you had been through in many different forms before.

"Like who?" You asked.

"Someone with less issues, less baggage. Someone like Ventus."

"I'm sorry but you're not going to get rid of me that easily Vanitas," you chuckled, "No matter how hard you try."

He finally looked at you, his eyes meeting yours as the fingers of your left hand intertwined with his right hand. You reached out with your right hand caressing his left cheek.

"If I didn't want to be here, I wouldn't be here," you said softly.

His eyes seemed to search yours for a moment before he looked away once again. If this was a few years ago he would have tried his hardest to push you away and to isolate himself. But he wasn't that person anymore, at least he was trying his hardest not to be. He owed a lot of his progress to you, you'd never once stepped away from his side no matter how many reasons he seemed to give you.

"Thank you," he said softly.

"Of course," you replied, squeezing his hand.

He'd hurt you so many times in the past. He'd hurt people you cared about, people he cared about. He'd inadvertently hurt himself countless times in the beginning, but you never left his side. You never gave up on him. You held him accountable for his decisions, helped him deal with the consequences, supported him, and helped him grow as a person.

Out of your peripheral vision you saw Vanitas turn towards you. As you looked at him you could see his hesitation. He wanted to say something, you could tell from the way he was fidgeting that he was fighting against convincing himself not to.

"You know you can tell me anything," you coaxed softly.

"It's not something I want to tell you," he sighed, shaking his head, "I just... how can you put up with me?"

You let him continue.

"It's kind of pathetic isn't it? People our age have things figured out, they're on track. But here I am," he motioned to himself, "I'm better than I was, much better. But I still struggle, I still mess up. I've done so many messed up and manipulative things to people you care about, that we care about. It might be in the past but don't you..." he looked at you, meeting your gaze, "Don't you mind?"

Letting go of his hand you completely shifted your body so you were facing him, your right side facing the crashing waves.

"No, I don't," you shook your head, "Because that's not you. Maybe that was you at one point, but you've faced the consequences. You've owned up to your failures and shortcomings and worked to make up for them. Each and every day you try your best, and some days are better than others, we all mess up sometimes."

You moved closer to Vanitas, caressing the side of his face with your right hand. For the first time today he let himself relax into your touch closing his eyes.

"But most importantly, I love you," you said.

At your words he slowly opened his eyes, pausing for a moment. You could see the guilt, uncertainty, and gratitude that spread across his face. His golden eyes searched yours before he leaned towards you. He placed a soft kiss on your forehead as he pulled you into his arms.

"I love you too," he whispered.

The two of you sat there in each other's arms as the crashing waves pushed and pulled the water along the shore.