A Heart for Milton - Chapter 9

Mr. Thornton walked briskly down the long row of working looms, the cacophony of the clattering machines drowning out the sound of his footsteps. Stopping near the far end, he folded his arms and waited patiently as he observed Higgins instruct a new hand how to check the quality of the weave.

A small smile formed on his lips as he realized how much he had grown to admire the man that Margaret had befriended. He had been wary of hiring the former union leader at first, but had quickly found he was reliable and trustworthy. After further acquaintance, he discovered that Higgins had a keen mind and a genuine concern for others. Mr. Thornton had been surprised to find he enjoyed working with him to create the workers' dining hall.

The Master had realized some time ago that he felt comfortable speaking to Higgins as an ally and confidant - much more than he did with the other Milton masters. He was naturally drawn to this affable fellow, and had become fond of his forthright manner and clever wit.

He recalled with warm affection that it was Higgins who had offered him the heartiest congratulations on his impending marriage - and he would never forget how efficiently he had relayed Margaret's message to him.

Higgins finished his demonstration and turned to see Thornton.

"May I have a word with you in my office?" Mr. Thornton asked respectfully, as he unfolded his arms and led the way.

Arriving at the office, Mr. Thornton took a seat behind his desk, and motioned for Higgins to sit. "I will be leaving for a short time in a few weeks," Mr. Thornton began, "and I would like for you to assist Williams while I am gone," he announced, watching Higgins to ascertain his reaction.

Noticing a flicker of surprise in his colleague's eyes, Mr. Thornton continued. "I would like you to help manage the hands so that Williams may pay more attention to matters of orders and inventory. Of course, with additional responsibilities, your wages will be increased," he explained. "Is this agreeable to you?" he asked with a slight grin.

Higgins shook his head slowly in disbelief. "It is more than agreeable," he answered humbly. "Thank you for your trust in me," he said with sober respect for his employer.

Feeling uncomfortably like a benefactor, Mr. Thornton swiftly justified his decision. "I do not bestow favors. I have seen your work, and you are good with the men," he rationalized. "You have proven to be one of my best workers," he openly admitted upon a moment's further reflection. "How remarkably insightful I was to have taken you on," Mr. Thornton added sarcastically, the corners of his mouth edging upwards as he gazed directly at his fiancé's friend - and, he realized belatedly, his own.

Higgins face broke into a hearty grin. "She'll do you good at every turn," he wisely predicted with an upward jerk of his chin.

Looking down at his desk, Mr. Thornton nodded his head in agreement as a broad smile spread over his face.

"When do you leave?" Higgins asked, bringing the subject back to work. "Or, should I ask, when is the wedding?" he prodded his colleague with a twinkle in his eye.

"We wed in Helstone in three weeks," his employer answered in an even voice, attempting to appear dispassionate about an event that threatened to consume his every waking thought.

"I see you don't waste any time," Higgins ribbed him affably, eliciting a bashful twitch of the Master's lips. "Mary an' me will be glad to see her come back. She's a right good favorite with the children, too. She brings them treats when she comes to visit," he remarked with open affection.