A Heart for Milton - Chapter 23

Pale light streamed through the far windows of the Master's grand bedchamber. Mr. Thornton awoke to the faint chatter of birds perched upon the rooftop. He rolled over toward his wife and studied her face in its serene repose before leaning over to place feathered kisses on her nose, eyelids, and cheek. "It was one year ago this day that we were married," he told her quietly, his deep voice quavering with reverence at the remembrance of that glorious day.

"You remembered," she answered sleepily, stretching her arms and limbs as a contented smile spread over her face. She finally opened her eyes to see her husband gazing tenderly at her.

"I could hardly forget. I am reminded of my great blessing every morning when I wake to see you here beside me," he uttered, drawing her closer to the warmth of his body.

"And I know mine every evening when you come home to me," she responded, looking straight into his eyes. She basked in the bliss of his closeness, and longed to feel the press of his weight upon her.

"Margaret," he murmured in delight at her answer and brought his lips to hers as reward. She melded to him instantly, igniting the passion that flowed through their veins.

A slow groan rose from his throat as she slid her hand slowly up his back and delved her fingers into his hair to clasp him closer. He moved to capture her beneath him, but just then a small cry was heard just beyond their bed.

Mr. Thornton reluctantly lifted his head to break contact from the intoxicating kisses that had consumed them. He rolled back to release her from his possession with a small sigh as Margaret climbed out of bed and picked up her daughter from the nearby crib.

His ardor ebbed, transformed into sweet pleasure to see his wife lift his infant daughter from her crib. He smiled as he watched Margaret kiss the babe's plump, pink cheeks. Sophie had stopped crying now that her mother held her in her arms.

Mr. Thornton remained in bed a moment longer before he swept aside the covers to begin his morning routine. His wife's eyes followed him across the room as he doffed his nightshirt to make his ablutions.

"I thought we could take the carriage for a picnic lunch today," he suggested, raking his hand through his slightly dampened hair and wiping his face dry. "I could come home at noon to fetch you," he offered as he walked to the wardrobe to retrieve a shirt.

"That would be lovely; it looks to be very fair weather today," Margaret answered cheerfully. The babe suckled quietly as the young mother sat against the pillows of the bed.

"Good. I have a few matters to finish at the mill this morning, but I intend to take my leisure with you for the remainder of the day," he explained, his lips turning up in a crooked smile.

"Then I will hold you to your promise," she replied with a playful gleam in her eye.

**********************************

Their afternoon excursion was pleasant. The sloping, grassy fields beyond Milton provided them a picturesque view of the city. As the carriage rolled on towards home, Margaret looked out over the spring greenery with fondness until a gentle squeeze on her clasped hand brought her attention to the man sitting next to her. She gave him a warm smile and he leaned toward her for a kiss.

Their lips brushed gently and tenderly at first, but as Mr. Thornton reached out to cup her face and hold her to him, his kisses swiftly became more passionate. They had only recently renewed their more intimate relations as man and wife, but the time they had for such loving was not as regular as Mr. Thornton wished. His wife was often exhausted at day's end, and mornings were fraught with the fear of waking the baby. At present, only Sunday afternoons could be relied upon to provide the perfect opportunity, when the baby took a long nap in the nursery.