A Heart for Milton - Chapter 4

Aunt Shaw regarded Edith and Margaret affectionately as the cousins chatted amicably in the front parlor. It had been the better part of a week since Margaret had arrived at Harley Street, and she seemed to be doing very well. She was quiet and subdued, but that was to be expected after the horrible ordeals she had endured this past year. Aunt Shaw was determined to protect her niece from anything that would disturb her peace. She wanted to allow her the space and time to leave the memories of that horrid town behind her.

She had been greatly distressed when Margaret had announced herself engaged to the stern-looking Milton manufacturer, but she had kept silent at Margaret's request, perceiving the girl's exhaustion. She felt certain that Margaret's good judgment had been clouded by the unseemly environment that had surrounded her in that city. Aunt Shaw conjectured that Mr. Thornton might be considered a good match for a Milton girl; however, Margaret was not of their ilk. She did not belong in such a place. Aunt Shaw hoped that the allure of London's charms and fine society would restore her niece's good sense and instill in her a desire for a more suitable husband.

She was encouraged by the fact that Margaret had not mentioned her engagement since she had arrived, and she was resolved to keep her own silence on the subject as long as possible. Unless Margaret showed an interest in this matter, she would not bring it to her attention. There was no need at present to stir up any unsettling emotions in the girl.

Aunt Shaw had been dismayed, in course, to find a letter addressed to Margaret from Mr. Thornton shortly after her arrival. She had hesitated to hand the letter over to the girl at that time, worrying that his letter would solidify the girl's decision before she had had time to consider other possibilities. Aunt Shaw convinced herself that there could be no harm in setting aside the letter for just a day or two. After all, she felt it was now her duty to protect and guide her sister's daughter with all the motherly wisdom accorded her. She had not intended, though, to forget the letter after the said two days had passed.

Margaret was content enough to live among them, but she dwelled in a world apart. Her mind wandered between the mists of memory and the sunshine of hope and wonder. She remembered the playful days of her childhood and the bitter trials of moving to Milton. She recalled her every encounter with Mr. Thornton and wondered what it would be like to be kissed by him.

Most of all, she remembered the fleeting moments at the station with Mr. Thornton - the words he had spoken and the way he had looked at her. She blushed to remember the feel of his lips on her hand.

Margaret treasured the private moments spent in her room or the nursery. She lingered in bed in the mornings and tried to imagine what Mr. Thornton might be doing at that very moment. And as she let her mind drift to the past, her thoughts fluctuated between memories of Milton and of her childhood in Helstone. She fondly recalled the days in her childhood when she had held her father's hand, skipping along the meadow paths as he made his frequent visits about the village. Yesterday, while Sholto fell asleep in her arms, she was suddenly overcome by sorrow to realize that the children she might have would never know their grandparents.

She had begun to worry why Mr. Thornton had not yet written to her, and had lain awake for some time the previous evening thinking on it. She had tried to convince herself that a delay in the post or the overwhelming demands on him at the mill would easily explain the lack of correspondence, but she had not been able to keep from wondering if he might be having second thoughts about marrying her. Perhaps she had been entirely too audacious at the station, for she had barely let him say a word. Or maybe he had thought more seriously about her tarnished character. She had not yet explained to him about her lie and the circumstances of Fred's departure. Why, it was even possible he still thought she had been involved with another man! It troubled her greatly to imagine that he might think such a thing. If only they had had time to speak with each other!