A Heart for Milton - Chapter 5

A warm spring breeze blew through the open windows at the Crampton house, stirring the chintz-curtains in the drawing room and chasing the winter's dust in circles on the hardwood floors. Dixon was busily arranging folded linens into a pile on the divan. The room was cluttered with crates of household goods and sundry light furnishings from around the house.

Dixon stood up to survey the space around her. It was a sad reminder of all that had passed here in Milton, to see all of the Hales' belongings stacked and packed about the room and spilling into the hallway. By nightfall, she hoped to be finished here, but this morning she must clean the floors and the kitchen. Mr. Thornton would deal with the arrangements for selling and moving the heavy furniture that remained upstairs. The things she had set aside for Margaret were in the dining room.

She shook her head to think of Miss Margaret moving to the Thorntons' residence. What would her late mistress have thought of this match? Surely it would further weaken the lofty Beresford heritage to be linked to a tradesman in such a dismal city. But even so, Dixon was forced to admit her respect for the man Margaret had accepted. Mr. Thornton had always acted the part of a gentleman, and had been especially considerate to her late mistress during the months of her failing health.

Dixon was looking forward to going to London -- at least until Miss Margaret would wed. She did not relish the thought of living in the same house as Mrs. Thornton. She and her son were a pair - dressed all in black and looking so stern! She was certain she'd never seen a more serious-looking set, Dixon clucked to herself. It would do them good to have Margaret in their home. She was a cheerful girl for the most part, and would bring a good deal of lightheartedness to the stuffy atmosphere that Dixon thought must pervade the place.

She was well on her way to the kitchen when she heard a loud knock at the door. She tried to imagine why Mr. Thornton would come at this time of day, as she grudgingly retraced her steps towards the main hall.

Swinging the door open with impatience, she was stunned to find herself face to face with a young man dressed in the impeccable uniform of Her Majesty's Navy. Her face blanched in terror for a brief moment before quickly recovering herself in an attempt to appear unconcerned.

"Lieutenant Bexley of Her Majesty's Navy," the officer introduced himself bluntly. "Is this the Hale residence?" he began with authority, casting his eyes beyond her large form to look for any movement from within.

"Yes, it is," Dixon answered firmly, desperately trying to keep her voice from betraying the tremulous swell of fear coming over her.

"The Navy is seeking the whereabouts of a Mr. Frederick Hale," Bexley announced with great formality. "May I speak with a... Mr. Richard Hale?" he asked, having pulled out a card with the pertinent information scribbled upon it from his breast pocket.

"Mr. Hale has passed away very recently, and his wife has also passed away," she informed him smugly.

"I'm sorry," the lieutenant stated with solemn courtesy. "Then perhaps I may speak with his daughter, Miss Margaret Hale," he persisted, having glanced again at the card in his hand.

"Miss Hale is away in London. She won't be back for some time," Dixon offered elusively, hoping to prevent any further inquiry about her young mistress.

"In London? With relatives, perhaps?" he cleverly surmised with a slight grin.

"With family from her mother's side," she emphasized defiantly, noting irritably that the young whippersnapper could hardly be older than Master Frederick himself.

"And when do you expect her to return to Milton?" he continued. "You did say she would be back, didn't you?" he asked, effectively cornering her into giving him a reply.