Chapter 2

**** (stars mean a change in point of view from Faye to Zayn)

After four whole minutes of trying to get her attention I had to tap her shoulder. She seemed so lost in her thoughts. For four whole minutes I gazed at her and she didn't even notice. I wanted to ask how her friend Sarah was doing, whom I tried flirting with a few times to piss her off, but got absolutely no response. She'd never once asked why I hadn't tried sweet talking with her, hell, a year back Dina and her went on a vacation to Thailand, and returned two weeks back tan as hell. If it weren't for Dina's instagram I would've forgotten how smoking hot they were. I attempted flirting with Dina, who clearly had some chemistry going on with my step brother, Ameer, and it led to nothing but a huge slap from her on my face.

Faye was different. I never ever thought of making a single move that would jeopardize our friendship. During November she left off to Bahrain for almost a month, and when she returned Ameer and I went to the airport to pick them up, and I ended up hugging her because of how much I missed her teasing me every single gathering weekends. That hug also got me a huge slap in my back, because it was considered inappropriate and almost everyone was staring at us in the Dubai airport.

Her gaze finally met my eyes, she carried the darkest brown eyes I'd ever seen. It contrasted her olive skintone to a great degree. Faye was one of the few people I'd seen with an appetite as large as mine. We both shared passion for the Italian cuisine, Arabian cuisine, Persian cuisine, and sushi. She seemed healthy fit to me, and irritated me when she'd blab on and on to Layla  how she hates her hourglass figure every time before attending a wedding, and how her thighs wouldn't cooperate when wearing skinny jeans. If by hour glass she meant she hated her killer tits and ass, I'd be gobsmacked because to me it was almost like saying how much I hate my biceps.  Her chestnut wavy hair wasn't similar to her brother's jet black straight hair. What striked me odd was that neither of her parents had brown hair. I had several theories I kept to myself. Mainly because she would seriously frown every time anyone mentioned her parents.

"What?" She said in an agitated tone.

My hands pressed to the back of my neck  "so I have this gaming software to design and I was wondering if you could design the logo and a cover for the game?" She sighed with hollow eyes "fine" I filled her with the details as she noted them on her phone.

I brushed past her hand feeling her goosebumps rise "thanks pole!" I was excited because the branding and marketing part was down to Faye, and less on my plate.

She withdrawed her hands quickly mumbling lazily "yeah sure, whatever."

"What's wrong?" I asked sincerly.

She waved it off with a plastered smile saying "Nothing. Everything's fine."

That night she drifted off from the usual intense karaoke sessions we'd all have to playing boring monopoly with everyone beside me. I left at that upstairs playing Call of Duty on my ps3.

Whilst coming downstairs I heard Layla slam the fridge door shut, I rushed to the kitchen. And Ameer declared a deal "alright who's betting on Germany crushing Brazil on Wednesday?" Layla, Faye, and Amir raised their hands. "And who's betting on Brazil?" Dina and I raised our hands. "Adam's betting on Brazil too, alright so the losers take us all to a dinner at Shake Shack then a dessert at Shakeaway and pay for it!"

"May the odds be ever in your favour, and we're out byaatchs c'mon Faye."

Faye and Dina waved everyone goodbye.

After closing the door, Ameer sighed "man, Faye totally beat me in monopoly today!" Dina snickered "what do you expect from someone that took economics hl and business hl in ib? She's majoring in finance too so playing monopoly with her is never a good idea."

And that's when it hit me like a train I only find out things about Faye through other people. If I don't ask her she'll never tell.

I burn the midnight oil through working on developing the software for this project with the help of one of my closest pals Eric.

Before closing off the lights I open every social media site to check on Faye. Starting with instagram her recent pictures are of her next to her group of friends, the only friend I recognise is Sarah. She's standing so close to this boy that it secretly irritates me, because he probably doesn't know her five favourite artists, her favourite songs, or the books she cried after reading. After two minutes of extensive stalking on this boy I find out that his name is Sami but calls himself Sam for short, viewing his pictures it's clear that he looks like a total douche bag, even his features are similar to Scott Disick if that doesn't spell doucheness enough I don't know what does. Checking out the rest of her pictures I smile, because half of her other pictures are of our gang. Most of the time her standing next to me, because I ask her to. Or else she ends up making Dina and Layla look like dwarves and Ameer and Adam hate the fact that she's their height.

I scroll down her twitter profile, thinking she brings up some pretty intellectual tweets. And I stop at discovering this Sami dude and her tweeting eachother about some inside joke. Pretty flirtatious to me. His tweets aren't even brilliant to begin with, they're all mundane praising Eminem, and wanting Eminem to recognise him.

I take one good look at myself in the mirror and decide that I need esteem assurance, so I take a douchey shirtless mirror selfies, because why wouldn't I? I trained so hard for these muscles in the gym. Within 38 minutes I've already nailed 114 likes and 27 comments on my abs. 40 minutes pass and the comment section becomes even more filled with compliments. I even got a compliment from Sarah, Faye's friend. But Faye hasn't liked the picture yet. Screw her. 6 AM and I'm on my way to the gym, I scroll down my instagram newsfeed, the likes have tripled but still no sign of Faye.