Chapter 3

Adeleina skulked about the brightly lit ballroom, pretending to examine the opulent decorations being hung up in her honor. Her father had insisted that she should oversee the bedecking of her own betrothal ball, and here she was. 

It wasn't as though the decor was not to her liking; in fact, she simply reveled in the fluttering banners bearing the royal-blue and silver markings of her kingdom, in the intriguing, glittering glass of the multiple candle-lit chandeliers that cast their reflected light about the room, in the polished gleam of the marble floor. A palatial, sweeping staircase led up to a balcony and a second floor that overlooked the first. Even higher than the second floor was the domed ceiling. The ceiling of the ballroom was adorned with silver engravings of flying cherubs and peacefully floating clouds. Below it, fine white cloth adorned with silver linings draped over the numerous round tables that were scattered throughout both floors of the grand ballroom. Six or seven chairs, arranged neatly so that the guests would be seated elegantly yet efficiently, surrounded every table. Placed in the middle of every table was a silver-glazed vase, filled with bunches exotic, deep-blue orchids. Ornamental torches flickered on the walls, casting a soft, warm glow on the entire room. Magnificent archways lined the walls, some leading to exquisitely carved oaken doors, others purely decorative. 

No, it was not the layout of the castle's largest ballroom that made Adeleina peevish. It was her father's foolish idea that Adeleina needed to be wed so soon that made her mope so. 

A harried-looking maid nearly ran past her, her arms laden with two large sacks of flour. 

"Ivy!" Adeleina abruptly called. The maid, confused, turned to see the princess approaching her. She gasped.

"My lady! I didn't see you there," she panted, awkwardly shifting the heavy bags bundled in her arms. Adeleina hurried forward and grabbed one of the bags, pulling it into her own arms. She grinned as fine white flour clouded around her and settled on her immaculate gown. 

"Where are we going with these?" she asked. Ivy's face blanched in horror.

"Err...to the kitchen," she replied, inclining her head towards a corridor that lead to sounds of pots clanking and water streaming. "But you needn't help, you'll only ruin your dress, milady!"

"Nonsense. I've nothing left to do here, and two of these sacks is too heavy for one alone to bear. Come," Adeleina set off for the kitchen. In truth, she was quite glad for the reprise from wandering aimlessly around the ballroom. The maid Ivy trailed behind her, evidently rather alleviated at being freed from half of her burden.

The kitchen door was ajar, and from within wafted the smell of fresh-baked bread, the sizzling of roasting meat, and the shouts of the castle cook, Darcy. Adeleina shoved the door aside with her shoulder and dropped the bag of flour unceremoniously on the floor. 

The kitchen was stifling hot as several ovens, all lined up neatly, blazed with merry flames as they broiled and roasted their contents. An open window that let in the occasional cool draft gave a glimpse of dozens more outside, some alit with hot embers, and others being cleaned of soot and ash by kitchen servants. Shelves lined the stonewalls, every last one of them stocked with bottles and pouches, each varying in size, color, and contents. Tables were laid with large wooden chopping boards and mixing bowls filled with dough, or soup, or perhaps a sauce. In the corner, Adeleina spied several men tugging at an indoor water pump in an attempt to coax more water out of the small spout. The kitchen was crammed with dashing people in a frenzied attempt to keep the soup bubbling, but not boiling, or the roasted boar popping and crackling, but not burning. There were maids running about with buckets of water and men in stained white aprons stirring fervently at piping hot pots. Steam clouded the entire room, and amidst it all came the snaps of an exasperated voice.