Chapter 24 part ii

"You're assuming that I'm going to help you," Adeleina said, hoping her voice sounded indifferent. "What's stopping me from refusing?"

"Come now," the queen said wearily. "I'm sure you're more sensible than that. I'm going to get what I want, whether you'll help me or not. If you valued your life at all, you'd know which side you'd want to be on when your kingdom is mine."

Her tone changed to a sickly sweet one, like the smell of a deadly flower. "Who knows? I may even spare your friend Rowan's life," she said, watching Adeleina closely. "I know who he is. The little rat wiped out half my army. I have half a mind to execute him right now."

She smiled as Adeleina blanched. "He's head over heels in love with you, you know. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if his death was on your conscience."

"I don't--" Adeleina began, spluttering. "You can't--"

"This is wasting my time," Queen Dale said dismissively. "Listen to me. You're going to marry Damien. Everything you do will be under my orders. You're going to appear in public. Win the people's trust. And, when the time comes, you will encourage them to join my army. Am I clear?"

"Why?" Adeleina asked bitterly. "Why can't you do all of this yourself?"

The queen's face twisted. Was that spite flickering across her face? Or was it regret? "No one expects me, their good king's arm jewelry, to be able to accomplish anything. I don't have power, in their eyes." She eyed Adleina. "You, on the other hand, with your pretty little face and your flashing swords, you can encourage them. Love them. Rile them. You can be their knight in ivory armor."

Adeleina grew cold. Had the queen's choice of words been coincidential? Or had they been deliberate?

"Fine," Adeleina spat. Her mind was already racing to formulate a plan to somehow foil the queen's intentions. "I'll do it."

"You are not to say a word of this to anyone. Least of all Damien," Queen Dale said. Adeleina wondered whether the queen suspected that Adeleina's compliance wasn't wholly sincere. The queen flicked her wrist petulantly. "We are done here."

Adeleina turned on her heel to leave.

She swept out of the long hall. Though she didn't turn around, she knew the queen was watching her go. It was like there was a smoldering hole in her back where the queen was looking.

"Adeleina?" Someone stepped out from a doorway. "What--"

"Damien!" Adeleina jumped back like a frightened rabbit. "Er..."

Damien crossed his arms. "What did my mother want?"

Adeleina hesitated. She desperately wanted to tell Damien every last terrible word his mother had said, but they were barely fifteen feet from the throne room's entrance.

She would tell him later.

"Oh, nothing," she said, hoping her voice wasn't shaking suspiciously. She cleared her throat. "Nothing. Just...wedding plans."

"What?" Damien said, looking horrified. "She's still making us--"

Adeleina didn't know whether to be offended or reassuring, so she didn't reply at all.

"I mean," Damien continued, "I thought you would be considered under asylum in Dale, what with Corandell under Sevan control and all."

Adeleina shrugged. She didn't particularily like lying to Damien, but she swore to tell him the truth later. Later, when they had a chance to speak without being overheard by anyone. Especially the queen.

"Did you speak with your father?" Adeleina asked instead, turning the conversation to different waters.

Damien frowned. "Yes. At least, I tried."

"Er...you tried?"

"He...I don't know. He's delirious and can't even string together a proper sentence. I'm not sure, but I'm assuming something happened on his trip from Corandell to here." Damien rubbed the back of his head, frustrated. "I wish he could tell me what happened."

"Oh," Adeleina said, at loss for words. "I'm sure he'll recover."

Damien gave her an odd look. "I don't know..."

"What? You shouldn't lose hope so soon, Damien. Perhaps he's just down with a fever."

"No," Damien objected, shaking his head slowly. Adeleina saw him glance warily at the doors that led to the throne room. The hallway they were standing in was empty, but one never knew who would be listening around the corner. "Something else is at play here. I can't--"

He was cut off by a red-faced servant boy dashing around the corner. Damien stopped talking abruptly, but the boy didn't notice Adeleina and Damien standing suspiciously in the corner at all. Instead, he dashed into the throne room.

Adeleina glanced at Damien. "What's the matter with him?"

"I--"

Queen Dale burst through the door. Adeleina glared at her, but if the queen noticed, she gave no sign of it. She strode past Adeleina and Damien without a second glance, her robes billowing with breeze.

"Boy," Damien said to the huffing servant as he emerged from the throne room. "What news?"

"Sir!" The boy looked at him with mournful eyes. "The king is dead."