Chapter 12

Adeleina found Damien sitting in the courtyard, his elbows propped up on his knees and his head resting between his hands. Adeleina approached him tentatively, unsure as to whether he was upset with her or not.

He looked up as she made her way towards him. To Adeleina's immense relief, he granted her with a smile, though it was faltering and weak.

"Hi," Adeleina offered, sitting next to him. He scooted away, to make space for her to sit or because he didn't trust her, Adeleina could not tell.

"Hi," Damien replied. A brief silence ensued-- the first that the two had ever come across. Adeleina kicked her feet nervously.

"So..." Adeleina swung her foot violently, wishing she could think of a more clever way to begin.

"So we're getting married," Damien finished bluntly. His tone was neither happy nor disapointed. Adeleina found that disconcerting, and she wriggled slightly. The way he'd said had sounded so final, so resolute, that it made the situation that much more real.

"Sorry I didn't tell you," she blurted. The words tumbled out of her mouth like water over a riverbed, spilling out before she could think again. There, she'd done it. She had apologized. Would he forgive her now?

Damien cast her a bemused glance.

"It's alright," he said. Adeleina silently let loose the breath that she'd been holding hostage in her lungs. "I wouldn't have been brave enough to say something like that myself," he admitted.

Adeleina relaxed. She and Damien were back on what seemed like friendly terms. Nevertheless, there was still the touchy subject of their wedding. Adeleina twisted her fingers in her clammy hands, wondering why it was so difficult to discuss what could have been a trivial topic with anyone else.

"My father wants us to marry in three weeks," she said, slightly uneasy as to how he'd react. She fidgeted uncomfortably, again. This wasn't how she wanted to talk to Damien. Adeleina thought longingly of her conversation with Damien only this morning, when they'd chattered like a pair of jays.

"I know," he replied, his hand gravitating towards his neck. He rubbed the back of it, looking just as uncomfortable as Adeleina felt.

"Are you angry?" Adeleina drew in a quick breath, slightly horrified by her own audacity. Yet, she did not regret asking the question. Damien's short and clipped answers weren't giving her any insight as how how he felt about the whole situation, and Adeleina would have given an arm and a leg to know what was going on in that pale blonde head of his.

Damien shrugged stiffly. Adeleina's heart sank.

"A bit," he said, furiously rubbing the back of his neck. His ears were tinged an odd pink.

Adeleina fought the urge to scowl in frustration.

"Not at you," Damien rushed to clarify, evidently sensing the bitter hurt that emanated from Adeleina. She raised her eyebrows, silently urging him to continue. Damien sighed, and his hand dropped back to his lap. "If you must know, my father made me come to the ball. He and your father are close friends, I suppose, which must be why they so conveniently decided to stick me with you."

"Well," Adeleina said, after suffering another short silence. "I suppose I'm grateful my father wasn't close friends with King Hemingway," she made a feeble attempt at a jest.

Damien, thankfully, snorted with laughter, and Adeleina found herself cracking a small smile.

"Hemingway's ports and treasury could never compare with ours," Damien threw Adeleina shrewd look. "I'll wager that's the main reason why His Highness chose Dale to make bonds with."