Chapter 9

It was the trumpets blaring that woke Adeleina from her uneasy slumber. She jerked upright, her eyes bleary, throat parched, and sheets crumpled. The sky outside still held signs of night, but dawn was already arriving and the sun was fast approaching. Adeleina, despite the untimely alarm, grinned. The trumpets could only mean one thing. Her father had returned with his men!

Adeleina scrambled out of bed and swiftly replaced her nightgown with a stiff corset and silk skirts. Her fingers fumbled with the fabrics as she dressed. In the three days of her father's absence, Adeleina had been worked to the bone trying to keep her restless guests organized. Every night she had collapsed onto her mattress, too weary to bother pulling the blankets around her. Even Darcy, cheerful and lively as she was, had grown sluggish and short of temper trying to feed the dozens of gluttonous nobles residing in Castle Corandell. Every waking moment was spent in an attempt to keep the castle from falling into utter disarray, until Adeleina was sure that if her father did not return soon, her throbbing head would be sprouting grey hairs.

Finally finished tying up the strings of her corset and gown, Adeleina hurried down the familiar stone steps that led to the great hall. Her fingers rubbed at her neck as she dashed along as fast as her burdening skirts would allow. By the gods, her neck ached!

When she whisked through the doors leading to the castle's main hall, Adeleina nearly crumpled to the floor in relief. Her father stood in the middle of the hall. He was well and truly back, healthy and whole and most definitely not injured or assasinated. Though, Adeleina couldn't help but also notice the dark shadows of worry etched across his face. His knights, too, wore the same fearful expression. Adeleina's heart grew cold. What terrible things had they seen at Ersaw?

"Father," Adeleina cried in greeting as she made her way to burly king. She threw her arms around him, suddenly feeling like a child again nestled in her father's arms. His presence in the castle again was so overwhelmingly relieving, she felt the anxiety and worry that had haunted her for the past three days slip away. Everything would be alright now. The king was back.

"Adeleina," her father greeted her in response. His own arms engulfed Adeleina in a solid embrace. "I trust you've managed to keep the castle in working order, and our guests pacified for the moment?"

"It wasn't easy, but I suppose I have," Adeleina beamed up at her father like a child expecting praise. He chuckled and ruffled her hair, as if she were five years old again.

"Sire," one of the knights prompted, looking impatient with the niceties. The king's face hardened again into a grim expression, his eyebrows furrowing into troubled creases and his mouth turning downwards into a set frown.

"Send for the council, Sir Ackerley. We have much to discuss." The knight who had spoken up nodded and left the hall.

"What happened in Ersaw?" Adeleina asked, unable to withstand the curiosity any longer. The worry that had been gnawing at her bones for days returned, her knees weakening until they were nearly ready to collapse. The thick tension that hung in the room spoke of bleak circumstances and ominous futures. Never in her life had Adeleina seen her father so fearful, yet so angry and somber.

"Terrible things, Adeleina," was her father's reply. Adeleina nearly groaned in exasperation, but Sir Estwick and the rest of the council chose that moment to burst through the doors of the great hall.

"Welcome back, my liege," Sir Estwick delivered a short bow. "My lady," he nodded at Adeleina.

The rest of the council, twenty or so men, followed suit as they each in turn welcomed the king back to Castle Corandell. In truth, the entire council was made up of nearly a hundred men, but the twenty-two who were gathered in the great hall now were head representatives of each of the fiefdoms in Corandell. They pulled out chairs along the long table in the middle of the hall and sat down. Adeleina mimicked them hastily, drawing her own chair and sitting at the end of the table next to her father. He did not question her actions, though it was rare of her to participate in council meetings. Adeleina silently thanked him in her mind. She did not intend to call attention to herself, but rather wanted to find out what exactly had happened in Ersaw three nights ago.