15. Tense me

Not that I had much experience with football games but I actually found myself enjoying the game, I was practically on the edge on my seat the entire time. The two teams were fairly evenly matched; keeping the score neck and neck the entire game. The aggression on the pitch continued to rise as well, players hurling themselves at each other with little regard for the referee angrily blowing his whistle. Even in the bleachers the sounds of opposing teammates yelling abuse at each other could be heard. Each team was equally determined not to lose and was willing to do just about anything to make that happen.

"You know," Mitch eyed me at half time, "I'd say you were actually enjoying it."

"Me?" I raised my eyebrows too stubborn to admit I'd been wrong.

"You were practically on your feet," Mitch nodded to me hunched at the edge on the bench.

"I was getting ready to leave," I excused lamely.

"Riiiight," Mitch dragged out with a smirk.

To prove a point I leaned back in my seat and folded my arms across my chest as the picture of relaxation.

"Did you see that last kick?" Grey was on his feet leaning over the rail in front of us, he'd barely sat down the entire game unable to contain himself as along with Mitch standing up to hurl their contribution towards the pitch.

"He should've passed it," Mitch shook his head.

"Exactly! That other guy was wide open, he was just hogging the ball," I blurted out before remembering and clamping my mouth shut, "or at least that's what it looked like in the split second I watched it."

"Uh huh," Grey nodded with a laugh, "you saw all that in a split second."

"Admit it," Mitch waggled a finger at me, "you're glad I dragged you along."

"I would've had a much nicer time at home," I argued back purely for the fun of it, "it's quieter and less crowded and sweaty and there's no yelling."

"You do live at Kings Bridge right?" Nico teased with a grin, before remembering he was supposed to be ignoring me and swivelled his head straight back to the pitch where he firmly set his gaze on the worn grass oblivious to my shocked then hurt expression. He wanted to talk to me, I could tell that, but he wouldn't let himself.

"You would've had a shit time at home," Mitch insisted adamantly.

"Shut up," I told him, "the second part is about to start."

"And she doesn't care," Grey laughed as Mitch threw his hands up palms showing.

"Sit down you're blocking our view," Sawyer swatted them from the other side of me, before exchanging a conspiratorial grin with me.

The second half was even more tense than the first and soon I found myself on my feet along with the four boys and the rest of the crowd who'd all risen to see better and scream loudly at the pitch. Within ten minutes three players had been sent off for biting, kicking and punching (not in that order). The hunger to win had grown more intense.

I spotted Jon on the pitch at some points, his dark hair peeking out from under his helmet. He'd managed to remain on the pitch so far although I'd seen him square up to several opposing players and even one of his own when they didn't catch the ball.

The final minute was one of the most thrilling moments of my life, my heart was in my throat and the anticipation had my stomach in knots, after all that I couldn't bare to see the opposing team win, I could feel the very humiliation of it in my mouth.

When the whistle was blown for the end of the game and our team was one point ahead the entire crowd on our side of the pitch exploded into a mass of screams and fists punching straight up into the air. Bodies jumped up and down and popcorn was tossed upwards scattering around us as I yelled with everyone else. Mitch scooped me up into a hug and spun me around wildly, then Grey squashed me into a hug, placing a hidden kiss into my cheek as he did so. Sawyer wrapped an arm around my side squeezing me to him as we cheered, Nico even beamed at me while he pumped a fist in the air.

As we weaved our way towards the entrance the atmosphere was electric, people I'd never spoken to were running up and hugging me, even hugging the Kings Bridge boys as well. All previous issues seemed to be set aside now we'd won. I felt like I was floating just from the excitement I was absorbing from everyone else.

"We won!" Mina did the cutest dance throwing her arms out as she can-canned in a circle. Connor scooped an arm around her waist and spun her around while she laughed with exhilarated excitement.

My phone buzzed in the back pocket of my jeans breaking my attention from the scene as I snapped my eyes down to see who'd texted me.

My heart caught in my throat, it stopped beating and my legs became wooden stumps as I sucked in a long inhale of fear. Immediately I looked up and glanced around in a panic although I knew they'd be long gone.

There was a picture of me on the screen, I was standing up with a giant frantic smile on my face as I leant over the railing to watch the game. All four of the boys were caught in the shot as well. There was no caption to the photo, it's message was clear enough, we're watching you.

Okay we have a small problem, I'm away for the next 19 days trekking through a jungle so won't be able to upload. I'm posting two chapters now so they'll have to last you for the time being. Apologies for this but I hope you enjoyed this chapter and will be able to wait for the next few.

Alby
X