Chapter Seventeen - Don't Forgive, Never Forget

Chapter Seventeen

                                                         Don’t Forgive, Never Forget

I’ve realized fighting is like dancing. First, you need a partner to “tango” with. Second, you follow a sort of pattern based on whoever is leading. Third, the moves are synchronized and beautiful and deadly. Whoever is the leader decides the fate of their partner.

Right now, I’m the leader.

Bones was unable to block five of six moves I had done, sending him to the ground twice. He was huffing and puffing when I knocked him down for the third time I pressed the heel of my boot at his throat. I should have gone easier on him, considering he’s going into his fifties, I’m sure. But if this was a real-life situation, I can’t hesitate, enough if the person appears to be older.

“Stop!” Bones shouted when I was about to twist his wrist.

I stepped away from him and grabbed a bottle of water from the porch as well as a rag to wipe the sweat from my forehead. “You’re getting worse, old man,” I stated, tossing him a water bottle.

He wiped his forehead with his arm and balanced himself against the rickety railing. “I’m not getting worse. I believe you’ve surpassed the master, Joanna. I have no idea why you still train with me. You’ve been better for a month now.”

It was true. “Do you happen to know anyone who can train me? Maybe some different moves or—“

“Why?”

I took several swallows of my water and looked at the setting sun. “I want to be better.”

“Why do you want to be better? You’re powerful enough to take on any attacker. By going a step further you’re no longer needed these moves as self-defense. Who are you after?”

I glanced at him and tossed my towel onto the porch. Who am I after? I’m after every undead creature who comes into my life, that’s who. But Bones couldn’t know that because Bones knows nothing about vampires. I couldn’t tell him anything about why I wanted to fight or why I’ve had bruises from last encounters. Instead of answering him, I turned to the house and headed inside. “Want to see the place? It’s lovely.”

I didn’t look back to see whether he was following or not. The creak in the porch indicated he was just behind me. “What the hell? What have you done to this place?” he demanded as he tried to not fall through the missing boards.

I looked at the floor, currently missing about a dozen boards I planned to replace. “I found a crowbar in the shed and ripped up some rotted boards. I have a pile of new ones in the back of my truck I had cut based off of the old boards…”

He stared at me blankly. “You’re seriously doing all of this yourself?”

My lips pulled to the side in amusement. “It gives me a workout, thus putting me in greater shape. I have to lift, like, a hundred pounds!” I threw my arms up dramatically.

“You’re insane, aren’t you? You seriously have lost your mind. Why on earth would you take on this dump?”

His negativity didn’t bother me in the least bit. I’m used to people questioning my choices. “I’m not insane. You know me and my love for hobbies. I figured I could do this while I train and get my GED.”

Bones narrowed his eyes at me. “You couldn’t possibly have time for all of this.” He gestured towards the room.

“I can if I only sleep two or so hours a night,” I muttered. “I have a lot of time on my hands, and I prefer using it by doing something with my hands, such as ripping boards up and replacing them.”